LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: OMR Model Render
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Soft shadows and directional lights have been added to the source. The default scene is now nicely lit.

There are still some complex parts which cause issues with UV generation causing black spots. Those I will look into next.
(2019-09-02, 19:18)Lasse Deleuran Wrote: [ -> ]Soft shadows and directional lights have been added to the source. The default scene is now nicely lit.

There are still some complex parts which cause issues with UV generation causing black spots. Those I will look into next.

Much better in my view. Black still looks too black but not disturbingly so.
(2019-09-02, 20:07)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Much better in my view. Black still looks too black but not disturbingly so.
It might not just be a darkness issue, but rather an issue of clearly showing outlines.

I have added the following piece of code (almost similar to changing ldconfig.ldr):
Code:
if(colorID === 0) {
            params.color = 0x1B1B1B;
            params.roughness = 0;
        }

Giving the following result:
[Image: gP8IzvR.png]

I have previously moved the lights around to achieve proper reflections and nuances in the black surfaces, but we cannot expect users to do so.
I had hoped the directional light would help here, but is works poorly on curved surfaces.

This is what I can achieve by adding lights to highlight the black parts:
[Image: Pr2Pett.png]
Don't get too obsessed with this. Black is hard.
(2019-09-02, 21:28)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Don't get too obsessed with this. Black is hard.

Apparently so!
Transparent parts, and illuminating parts are also a bit tricky. I have done my best with them for now.

That said. I also have the UV issue. Right now I see one of the quads on 3820.dat fails. I have downloaded the subb files and will see if I can debug it in the bus to work tomorrow.

Meanwhile. I have uploaded the new renderer to Brickhub.org, so it runs when you click "view 3D" on any of the models. I hope that will also lead to some bug reports so everything can be smoothened out and be made really good. We have a fierce and beloved competitor when it comes to online rendering.
(2019-09-02, 15:44)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a link for others:
sample_physical.htm

The rendering looks good but the lighting seems a bit dark for my taste. Someone else want to chime in?

It's not a big deal, but given that the surfaces are parallel, I would expect the reflection to line up here:
[Image: yElp9s1.png]

It kind of looks like both parts have the same amount of travel in one dimension, but the 1x3 has much less travel in the other dimension, leading to both the discontinuity in the specular between the two parts, and the much more pronounced slope of the reflection in the 1x3 part.
The latest push of code fixes all the issues I have observed so far with UV generation (and resulting black spots). The code is not yet pushed to brickhub.org, but it is in the github.org master branch.

On the current TODO list:

- The issue with black (No good solution yet)
- Illuminating materials (Can be done by adding rendering passes, but performance will be affected)
- Transparent materials using ray tracing for volume detection so they appear more correctly (Can be done by adding ray-tracing pass, but performance will be affected)
- Logos on studs created using normals so the rendering performance stays acceptable
- General performance improvements by using less advanced materials
- Distance blur to recreate DSLR lens properties (Can be done by adding rendering passes, but performance will be affected)

Any other improvement ideas?

Which of these do you feel are required before the code base can be used for OMR?
(2019-09-03, 7:32)Lasse Deleuran Wrote: [ -> ]Which of these do you feel are required before the code base can be used for OMR?

I’m already working on code for the OMR. Didn’t have much time last night to work on it.
(2019-09-03, 13:10)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]I’m already working on code for the OMR. Didn’t have much time last night to work on it.

Super slow right now but it is pulling data correctly. Now to work on integration with the OMR software and customizing the scene setting.

https://omr.ldraw.org/test.htm
(2019-09-03, 16:15)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Super slow right now but it is pulling data correctly. Now to work on integration with the OMR software and customizing the scene setting.

https://omr.ldraw.org/test.htm

And I have it successfully integrated but had to revert due to a variable scoping problem. Hopefully will have everything up tonight.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6