LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: 3D Part Preview added to Parts Tracker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
A 3D part preview has been added to the part detail pages on the Parts Tracker. If your machine is WebGL capable then you can click on the 3D View link on the menu to see that part in 3D. This feature is powered by brigl (https://github.com/HazenBabcock/brigl). Please report any bugs in the Website Discussion forum.

Known bugs:
- Mouse button actions not registered if done outside the model container (e.g. if you release a mouse button with the pointer outside the model container then if you reenter the container it behaves as if you never released the button)
- Direct colors don't work properly

Thanks,
Orion
(2019-07-08, 22:40)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]A 3D part preview has been added to the part detail pages on the Parts Tracker. If your machine is WebGL capable then you can click on the 3D View link on the menu to see that part in 3D. This feature is powered by brigl (https://github.com/HazenBabcock/brigl). Please report any bugs in the Website Discussion forum.

Known bugs:
- Mouse button actions not registered if done outside the model container (e.g. if you release a mouse button with the pointer outside the model container then if you reenter the container it behaves as if you never released the button)
- Direct colors don't work properly

Thanks,
Orion

Based on the above bugs, I’m going to switch to Lasse Deleuran’s renderer (https://github.com/LasseD/buildinginstructions.js). It doesn’t have the above issues, is more compliant with the standard, and is being actively developed. Lasse was very responsive to a feature I requested to allow the switch and was kind enough to push an update in less than a day.
I am only happy to help. And please don't hesitate adding more change request. This is my favourite way to give back to the community.

Compared to brigl, buildinginstructions.js currently lacks a nice semi-realistic renderer. I know Nicola has spent a lot of time making the one in brigl where rounded parts look almost as if there are no transitions between polygons. It is on my list to come up with a nice one for buildinginstructions.js, but currently I can only offer the flat shader which looks similar to how LEGO makes instructions.
(2019-07-09, 16:33)Lasse Deleuran Wrote: [ -> ]I am only happy to help. And please don't hesitate adding more change request. This is my favourite way to give back to the community.

Compared to brigl, buildinginstructions.js currently lacks a nice semi-realistic renderer. I know Nicola has spent a lot of time making the one in brigl where rounded parts look almost as if there are no transitions between polygons. It is on my list to come up with a nice one for buildinginstructions.js, but currently I can only offer the flat shader which looks similar to how LEGO makes instructions.

Others may disagree but I actually think the flat, instructions style is better for our uses.
(2019-07-09, 15:17)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Based on the above bugs, I’m going to switch to Lasse Deleuran’s renderer (https://github.com/LasseD/buildinginstructions.js). It doesn’t have the above issues, is more compliant with the standard, and is being actively developed. Lasse was very responsive to a feature I requested to allow the switch and was kind enough to push an update in less than a day.

The switch is complete on the PT. OMR will stay on Brigl for the time being.
(2019-07-10, 23:21)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]The switch is complete on the PT. OMR will stay on Brigl for the time being.

Doesn't work on Mobile Safari or Chrome for iOS. Does work on iOS Firefox.
(2019-07-11, 1:14)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't work on Mobile Safari or Chrome for iOS. Does work on iOS Firefox.
There seems to be an initialization/loading problem: on my phone (Android/chrome) I need to reload page to get to the 3d view. Otherwise I get only a narrow window with close and done buttons. But after that, it works well and is fast!
(2019-07-11, 6:57)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]There seems to be an initialization/loading problem: on my phone (Android/chrome) I need to reload page to get to the 3d view. Otherwise I get only a narrow window with close and done buttons. But after that, it works well and is fast!
Note: sometimes it works directly without reload.
(2019-07-11, 8:39)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]Note: sometimes it works directly without reload.

You gave me a possible solution to the problem. I tweaked the code and now it works on mobile Safari but the zoom is wrong. I'll troubleshoot this evening.
To follow up on a couple of feature requests from the internal pre-launch thread:
- BFC Colors
- Random quad/tri colors

Both of these features are possible with Lasse's renderer and will be added at some point in the near future.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11