LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Gaps/overlap in part fit up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sometimes due to the nature of plastic parts, when a real life model is translated into a computer model there may be some discrepencies in part fit up. This is especially true of Technic models where the complicated angles can lead to shortfalls/excesses of 4-5 ldu. While I'm willing to live with a difference of fractions of an ldu up to 1-2 ldu, when I hit the 4-5 range I become dissatisfied. I'm just curious how other authors deal with gaps or overlap in parts when building models.

[attachment=3493]
Quote:I'm just curious how other authors deal with gaps or overlap in parts when building models.
Yeah, models that rely - even a little bit - on parts flexibility or play in joints are a nightmare to model. Modern models are less prone to that, but it does happen in older ones (here I mostly speak about Technic models). When this happens, I first check what I have modeled so far (might be a mistake somewhere), and if I find nothing I try to minimize visual impact by distributing the error over many joints.
(2019-03-21, 22:44)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes due to the nature of plastic parts, when a real life model is translated into a computer model there may be some discrepencies in part fit up. This is especially true of Technic models where the complicated angles can lead to shortfalls/excesses of 4-5 ldu. While I'm willing to live with a difference of fractions of an ldu up to 1-2 ldu, when I hit the 4-5 range I become dissatisfied. I'm just curious how other authors deal with gaps or overlap in parts when building models.
Hi Orion

I do it just like Philo.
A big problem will be split as well as possible.
A friend of mine likes to use these tolerances on his MOCS.
Since I was often desperate to present it in the instructions accordingly.

Johann
(2019-03-22, 7:58)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]When this happens, I first check what I have modeled so far (might be a mistake somewhere), and if I find nothing I try to minimize visual impact by distributing the error over many joints.

Same on my side. I remember that I build 850 twice and then with real bricks and a third time digitally and found out, that TLG used the created 'stress' on the beams to bring some friction to the fork mechanism. Anyway I never finished the digital model. As I have no idea how to do it. :-)

/Max
(2019-03-22, 21:54)Max Martin Richter Wrote: [ -> ]Same on my side. I remember that I build 850 twice and then with real bricks and a third time digitally and found out, that TLG used the created 'stress' on the beams to bring some friction to the fork mechanism. Anyway I never finished the digital model. As I have no idea how to do it. :-)

/Max

As I built the 8416 set (the best Technic Forklift set IMHO) I took time to review the old 850.
The file uploaded in OMR have a wrong gear soluce (1 axle missing) so I totally rebuilt it.

[attachment=4958]
[attachment=4957]

File OMR compliant
Known errror : 6 bricks 2x2 "resized" for matching purpose.

Note : There are two version of the notice. This model is compliant with 120055 (with an extra row of plate under the seat).
(2020-03-07, 20:27)Marc Giraudet Wrote: [ -> ]As I built the 8416 set (the best Technic Forklift set IMHO) I took time to review the old 850.
The file uploaded in OMR have a wrong gear soluce (1 axle missing) so I totally rebuilt it.




File OMR compliant
Known errror : 6 brick 4x4 "resized" for matching purpose.

Note : There are two version of the notice. This model is compliant with 120055 (with an extra row of plate under the seat).

I think I mentioned this in the Technic thread, I solved the same issue by making a version of the 2x2 brick that is 1 LDU too short, then I swapped that in for 4 of the 7 bricks in the stack. This compensated for the 4 LDU offset of the axle holes at the top of the lift mechanism, and was easier to compute than distributing the error equally across all 7 bricks.

Similarly, in my version of the 8865 Test Car, I very slightly scaled the matrix for one of the angled beams in the roof structure, to make it fit the joints on each end.