LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Original Grey Technic motor from 1977: 6216a
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hi all.

This is my first submission (and first forum post).

I've submitted a new part; the original 4.5V electric technic motor from 1977 with 2 subparts:
Electric Technic Motor 4.5V
Electric Technic Motor 4.5V Core
Electric Technic Motor 4.5V Shaft

I'm hoping to reserve a subpart name for a special variant of this, which is quite rare.
The subpart I'd like is an arrow, which is on top of some of the motors (these have a nylon bearing and never squeak).

My work is strongly derived from Chris Dee's work; I only made (calculated) changes by hand to the .dat files using a text-editor.
Thank you for your work!

I would like to encourage you to add 1 more thing to your files: BFCing.

We just recently achieved the milestone of making all official files BFC compliant.
All corrected parts have been uploaded to the parts tracker.

Your files now are the only ones which are not BFC certified.

Therefore it would be desirable to get them BFCed.

To help you understand what that means, I wrote a Wiki article for you, and for other new LDRAW authors:
https://wiki.ldraw.org/wiki/BFC

I hope that after reading it you understand this request a little better.

best -
Steffen
Hej Jens,

Did you start from Chris file, the current official one, or from the reworked version I've uploded to the Part Tracker?
6216m = 6216ma+6126mb+6216mc+6216md  ( Why is it called "m" ? What does it stand for?)

Why did you number your motor "6216a" ? What does the a stand for?

You seem to know a lot about these motors.
Maybe we could make this a joint effort, and create some more improvments on the "subparts". They still need a lot of work before a release is possible. I want to create closed meshes. They aslo need to be moved from s/-folder to Part-folder.

What is the visual difference between 6216m, 6216a and 6228a, the 4.5V and 12V motors?
Do you know a good source of pictures of these motors?
(2018-03-28, 21:32)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: [ -> ]Hej Jens,

Did you start from Chris file, the current official one, or from the reworked version I've uploded to the Part Tracker?
6216m = 6216ma+6126mb+6216mc+6216md  ( Why is it called "m" ? What does it stand for?)

Why did you number your motor "6216a" ? What does the a stand for?

You seem to know a lot about these motors.
Maybe we could make this a joint effort, and create some more improvments on the "subparts". They still need a lot of work before a release is possible. I want to create closed meshes. They aslo need to be moved from s/-folder to Part-folder.

What is the visual difference between 6216m, 6216a and 6228a, the 4.5V and 12V motors?
Do you know a good source of pictures of these motors?

Hej Magnus.

I started from the one that came with my ldraw installation (in the hope that it would be the most recent one - so my guess is that it's likely the 'official' one).
-But I'll try and check if there are any differences from the most recent one I can find here on ldraw.org, then I could likely apply the differences to the most recent one instead.

I don't know everything about the 4.5V Technic motors, but as I'm from Denmark and since my siblings and I were very interested in LEGO, our presents for christmas and birthdays were usually LEGO.
Some parts were likely only available in Denmark too; I think the 'arrow-motor' might be one of those candidates.
Note: I've later found out that the bearing is not nylon, but it's an oilite bronze bearing. I will update that information when I make the next submission.

I briefly spoke with Chris about the part numbering, 6216a was chosen because it's the very first variant of the 1977 "grey" motor.
I'm not completely sure why 6216m was chosen for the 'later' model.
6216me and 6216mf was chosen, since 6216md is reserved for other purposes.
I hope that 6216mh will be available for the arrow that goes on top of those with the oilite bearing.
(I'll have to purchase a motor with the arrow on top of it, if I am able to find one; I've already called LEGO and asked about it, but so far no success).

As for the 12V motors, we never had any of those (although we often saw it in the local store). My brothers weren't interested in it, because they were convinced it would not be as strong or fast as the 4.5V variant. -But it definitely looks better. Wink
(2018-03-28, 1:07)Steffen Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for your work!

I would like to encourage you to add 1 more thing to your files: BFCing.

We just recently achieved the milestone of making all official files BFC compliant.
All corrected parts have been uploaded to the parts tracker.

Your files now are the only ones which are not BFC certified.

Therefore it would be desirable to get them BFCed.

To help you understand what that means, I wrote a Wiki article for you, and for other new LDRAW authors:
http://wiki.ldraw.org/index.php?title=BFC

I hope that after reading it you understand this request a little better.

best -
Steffen
Hi Steffen.

Thank you for the review.
I will try and see if I can make it BFC certified (I'm color-blind, so red/green might not be the easiest for me to work with, but we'll see).
I do think I understand what's behind BFC, since I'm a developer myself (I've made my own graphics-primitives, which includes winding-rules, thus it's likely similar, just for 3D).
In my opinion - from what I understand, BFC is a good idea and the right way to go.
It's always a good idea to optimize data-formats so processing is as easy for the CPU as possible.
I always thought that the "m" suffix was a quick n dirty ad-hoc filename submittal, with "m" for "motor"...
I think we should renumber that to the usual ...a, ...b, ...c, ... scheme.
(2018-03-29, 3:56)Steffen Wrote: [ -> ]I always thought that the "m" suffix was a quick n dirty ad-hoc filename submittal, with "m" for "motor"...

If it's "renumbered", then remember that there are at least 4 variants of the motor. Wink

The very first variant of this was made in 1977, the position of the rubber-band groove is near the end of the axle (870).
The second variant has the oilite bearing and on the top (between the studs) it has an arrow pointing forward (maybe 960, maybe only released in a plastic bag). I think this one was released in late 1977 or in 1978.
It seems the third variant, is the 12V motor, which is black (880).

The fourth variant is likely the "expert builder" variant with an extra prong hole and the rubber-band groove closer to the body of the motor (eg. Chris Dee's files). This was the variant that came with a new battery enclosure.

I do not know if there are more than one 3-prong hole variant.
I haven't seen a 12V variant with 3 prong holes and re-positioned rubber-band groove, but it might exist.
Note: The 'service pack 1175' (4.5V motor in a plastic bag) could contain any of the 3 grey variants, including the 1982 variant with the middle-prong hole.
(2018-03-29, 2:03)Jens Bauer Wrote: [ -> ]I will try and see if I can make it BFC certified (I'm color-blind, so red/green might not be the easiest for me to work with, but we'll see).

In LDView's settings you can disable the "green front faces" option, so the default color is used instead of green. Then you can choose the default color to be something that contrasts better.

Quote:It's always a good idea to optimize data-formats so processing is as easy for the CPU as possible.
Nowadays it's the GPU that does the back face culling, rather. Even if there's no graphics card the CPU chip has an integrated GPU. But having consistent winding has other algorithmical uses besides just rendering.
(2018-03-29, 3:56)Steffen Wrote: [ -> ]I always thought that the "m" suffix was a quick n dirty ad-hoc filename submittal, with "m" for "motor"...

The 'm' suffix was used 'back in the day' because this is one case where there is conflct between DesignID numbers and Part numbers. DesignID 6216 is Brick 2 x 4 x 2 with Curved Top but 6216 was also used by LEGO to describe the part assembly which is this motor.
I have deferred finding a solution for this for too long, so now is maybe the time to find a solution.
It's also the reason why I have not certified the two doors 73313 and 73312.
[/url][url=http://www.ldraw.org/library/official/parts/6216.dat]
(2018-03-29, 13:55)Chris Dee Wrote: [ -> ]The 'm' suffix was used 'back in the day' because this is one case where there is conflct between DesignID numbers and Part numbers. DesignID 6216 is Brick 2 x 4 x 2 with Curved Top but 6216 was also used by LEGO to describe the part assembly which is this motor.
I have deferred finding a solution for this for too long, so now is maybe the time to find a solution.

I agree with Steffen about the a, b, c... suffix. Isn't that what we use when there's two colliding IDs?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7