LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LDCad 1.6 Alpha 4 (win+linux)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(2016-10-17, 9:37)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]Attached file shows a "problem" I got with pneumatic LQ hose. When using dynamic placement (default of template), there is a step at the ends of straight section. This is solved either by limiting merging (but file size is a bit bigger, and some steps are still visible), or switching to static placement which definitely gives better result for the same size. Suggestions and insights?...

(edit): While fiddling with tubing in my model, I got a case where LDCad generated LDraw substitution code contains singular matrices references. Attached...

(edit2): singular matrices seems related to static placement + nearby waypoints with "overlapping" control handles. The same tube with dynamic placement looks bad but doesn't create singular matrices, getting control handle closer to their respective waypoint solves both problems.

Thanks Philo,

Those matrix problems seem to be caused by control  points extended past the next/prev control one like you suspected. This can be prevented by minimizing the distances (use the DYNHP mode for this) I'll try to improve the generator for this situation but I'm not sure that's even possible.

The step problem is because of the accumulation of angle difference during merging I think. Maybe I need to make the minimal allowed angle a function of the distance of the segment instead of the current static one.

Dynamic placements does matrix interpolation which is preferable for curved sections, but it seems it has a problem with long straight sections, I'll see if I can improve the interpolation somehow.
[quote pid='23540' dateline='1476729339']
Dynamic placements does matrix interpolation which is preferable for curved sections, but it seems it has a problem with long straight sections, I'll see if I can improve the interpolation somehow.
[/quote]

Did some code digging...

There seems to be something wrong with how I implemented dynamic placement, It should result in the same placement as static when used with a alignment of 0.

The whole point of dyn placement is/was to let if follow the segents virtual arc but this is nullified when placement is in the center (align=0)
[attachment=2556]

I'm not sure what is going wrong but thanks for bringing this to my attention Philo. This might also be a good moment to improve dyn placement by also correcting the position according to the curve.

I might postpone these changes to beta 2 though.
(2016-10-17, 18:22)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]It does for me, all I did is place it in the templates/shortcut  folder (while LDCad is closed). then is listed in the templates/misc bin group (minifig lever in cell).

I tried with 1.5 and 1.6.

Ain't working:

[attachment=2557]

w.
(2016-10-18, 19:15)Willy Tschager Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-17, 18:22)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]It does for me, all I did is place it in the templates/shortcut  folder (while LDCad is closed). then is listed in the templates/misc bin group (minifig lever in cell).

I tried with 1.5 and 1.6.

Ain't working:

Which version are you using?

Are you using both 1.5 stable and 1.6?, if so be sure you placed the ldr in the templates folder of the version you want to use it in (alpha doesn't use appdata)

If it still won't work could you send me the (zipped) contents of %appdata%\LDCad\Logs
(2016-10-18, 19:38)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-18, 19:15)Willy Tschager Wrote: [ -> ]Ain't working:

Which version are you using?

Are you using both 1.5 stable and 1.6?, if so be sure you placed the ldr in the templates folder of the version you want to use it in (alpha doesn't use appdata)

If it still won't work could you send me the (zipped) contents of %appdata%\LDCad\Logs

Was using Alpha4 - however I copied 1.5 back to the prog folder: the template doesn't show up. Cannot provide a log. They are all dated July when I switched version.

w.
I find "Locate selection" in the parts window a very odd place. I expected to find it in:

Right click on selected part in the editor window -> Selection ->

w.
(2016-10-19, 10:18)Willy Tschager Wrote: [ -> ]Was using Alpha4 - however I copied 1.5 back to the prog folder: the template doesn't show up. Cannot provide a log. They are all dated July when I switched version.

If the logs are not of a recent date the version you are using is not using appdata, In that case you need to place the minfig.ldr in a different templates folder (the one alongside the main exe).

also it is not recommended to use the alpha 4 exe with the 1.5 appdata folders (e.g. by replacing the exe in program files).
Can I use LDCad to animate a walk-through of Datsville, but within the engine itself instead of (the very slow) POV-Ray? Thanks.
(2016-10-27, 16:41)Michael Horvath Wrote: [ -> ]Can I use LDCad to animate a walk-through of Datsville, but within the engine itself instead of (the very slow) POV-Ray? Thanks.

Yes using lua scripting, but it probably has to use <5fps or less. You can however use the normal 25fps combined with the OpenGL export for smooth animation.

To move around you need to transform the entire model in 1.5 (by e.g. using a new ldr which references the main datsville model). In 1.6 you can use the new camera control api to e.g. record form the pov of a minifig.
(2016-10-27, 17:02)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]You can however use the normal 25fps combined with the OpenGL export for smooth animation.

I don't understand. What is this?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10