Aligning Categories to user expectations

Re: Aligning Categories to user expectations
Wow, this gives me an incredible warm fuzzy feeling! Thanks!

To the ones with outstanding questions, here are my humble opinions:

Duplo
I suspect most people don't build with Duplo. About the only time I see it in MOCs is to provide filler for mountain interiors. That's why I think one category is sufficient for it. Bricklink has a whole bunch of Duplo categories, and I think they're mostly noise. Note that I don't consider Primo or Quatro to be Duplo; they deserve their own sections.

Pov-RAY
I honestly have no idea what to do with this thing. But the underlying concept of a user-positionable light source is neat.

Roof // 6121, 44511 move to ???
Those look like panels to my mental taxonomy. Bricklink calls them roofs. So maybe that's what they are.

String // should be official category
I said new category because they don't look like anything else to me. That said, the parts are basically useless as is. Flexi parts a whole problem of their own, and that brings up incorporating LSynth segment pieces in the official library. Which is another topic.

Fabuland
I agree this is murky. It doesn't help that Fabuland is obscure. I had no idea how many amazing parts were in Fabuland until after I'd been an AFOL for years. Lego has also repurposed a lot of Fabuland pieces over the years (such as the slide, which was used in Paradisa sets). I guess I figure if it was originally debuted in Fabuland, and was obviously designed for the scale of Fabuland figures, or the Fabuland vibe, it qualifies as a Fabuland part.

In practice, I'd usually just do whatever Bricklink did.

87747 "Bar 0.5L" but in Minifig Accessory
Well, it most closely resembles other things currently in the bar category, such as 88695, 48729, and 64727.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Aligning Categories to user expectations - by Allen Smith - 2013-08-29, 23:09