Question abouth procedure and Part Author ethics

Re: Question abouth procedure and Part Author ethics
Hi all,

I've just started tinkering with parts authoring, and I have a question in regards to author clarification. I've had a look through the forums, as well as what I can of LDraw.org while some of it's down, but could not find the answer I'm exactly after.

My first example is 72454 Slope, Inverted 45 4 x 4 Double with 2 Holes. I have created this for LDraw, as I could not find it on the parts tracker or in LDraw's part list. As it is essentially 4854 (which was authored by James Jessiman), I have modified the original LDraw file and added the holes to the part.

Therefore, would I be classed as the author and mark the relationship to the original part in a comment, or mark James as the author?

Secondly, I've created a couple of "assembly" pieces using files that already exist, but have added official colour variations. For example 32283c01 has a black base. It also exists with a Dark Gray base, but this version is not available in LDraw.

Again, if I'm simply creating a new assembly based on one that already exists, would I be the author or would I cite the creator of the original assembly?

As a slightly different query, if I've fixed some files that have been "official" for some time. Do these also go to the Parts Tracker in the standard way (with a !HISTORY comment), and would they be marked as unofficial parts to begin with?

Any clarification would be welcome.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Question abouth procedure and Part Author ethics - by Owen Burgoyne - 2012-06-04, 11:27