Baseplate underdetailing was Re: LDView Bug

Re: Baseplates with underdetails was Re: LDView Bug
Steffen Wrote:(a) doing it will require to adjust nearly _all_ baseplates,
which will be tons of work, and we can need the energy currently IMHO
better in fighting down the PT backlog further
Not just baseplates. If we are going to start modeling these things at all, I believe we should model them everywhere, and (as far as I can tell) EVERY PART WITH A STUD would need to be remodeled. Because this requires too much scenario-specific attention to be able to be done programmatically, EVERY PART WITH A STUD would need to be edited by a human. Such an undertaking is absolutely insane.

See these parts:
[Image: pvs8Z.jpg]
everywhere there is a stud, there is one of those bottom things.

Steffen Wrote:parsing time increase
Just as with stud groups, this is negligible.

Steffen Wrote:in the future we should find an analogous way to turn on and off that feature
like we currently can toggle the stud representation (detailed, rough, primitive-substituted, none, as just a line, etc.)
Substituting studs themselves is easy because it's just one dat file that you can directly substitute. In this case, many (most) surfaces on which these stud-underside-bumps appear are just one giant poly for the underside of the piece, so an LDraw viewer would need to calculate (based on where studs are on the top of the brick) how to subdivide that polygon (and avoid creating T junctions while doing so) and then place the inset studs appropriately. This is a somewhat overwhelming undertaking for a very very small gain. If anyone really wants to do this, more power to them, but I certainly don't see why anyone would.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: LDView Bug - by Jean-Philippe Ouellet - 2012-01-16, 22:46
Re: LDView Bug - by Tim Gould - 2012-01-16, 22:50
Re: LDView Bug - by Jean-Philippe Ouellet - 2012-01-16, 23:56
Re: LDView Bug - by Tim Gould - 2012-01-17, 2:13
Re: LDView Bug - by Philippe Hurbain - 2012-01-17, 8:16
Re: Baseplates with underdetails was Re: LDView Bug - by Jean-Philippe Ouellet - 2012-01-17, 0:44