Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour

Re: Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour
as already said on the PT, for the fire logo we definetely lose flexibility when using color 16 for the red flame.

doing that means that that file can only be used in color red to look correct, and that renders
the color 16 usage of that file so useless as if it hadn't been used at all (and everything would have been hardcoded to red).

in the ldraw library we always have followed the principle to allow people to colorize their parts
as they like, even if a real LEGO part of that does not exist. this is one very nice thing of our library.

when applying my suggested solution to the fire logo, both sides get happy:
- the folks insisting on that it must only be used in red can do so and will exactly get what they want
- people coloring it differently can put the fire logo even onto an e.g. green or blue brick. that otherwise would not be possible.

I in this case simply think that our rules can not cover each and every case,
and that the fire logo well deserves an exception.

As for the gauges, I'll be happy with both solutions, using color 16 or not,
since I have not really made up my mind if the black portions there are such an important
part of the pattern that they cannot be color 16. Magnus sees it that way, and I tend to follow him.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour - by Steffen - 2012-01-05, 10:07