[Solved] Problems uploading to the Part Tracker

RE: Complete torso shortcuts?
(2021-05-11, 22:49)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I personally like to also have patterned torso shortcuts.
But the shear number of combinations possible with 5 parts is huge, and many have expressed a dislike of having to many shortcuts in the library.

I think we should find some sort of compromise about what type of torso shortcuts we should have.
I've made some uncoloured shortcuts containing all the different "hands". And I would like to make shortcuts of the correct printed torso and odd hand combinations. Like a printed torso with red boxing gloves.

Another issue to agree on is how should such an assembly be described. We need a standardized nomenclature.

Is there an option which can avoid cluttering the "parts" library with assemblies, something along the following lines;
  1. LDRAWDIR environment standardly points to the library "root".
  2. Within that root are the primitive (p) and part (parts) sub-directories
  3. Add a brand new sub-directory to the root as part of the standard deployment which holds assemblies (perhaps calling the sub-directory "assembly"!)
  4. The assembly sub-directory would be used to hold only known valid LEGO assemblies e.g. patterned torsos with the correct arm and hand colours as exist in LEGO sets. Perhaps existing assembled minifig as per the current "92198p" Friends ones or the Fabuland assembled figure currently located in the "parts" library could be relocated to the "assembly" sub-directory.
  5. A user of the current tools could amend the list of libraries to be "visible" to them by adding the "assembly" path within their preferred tools. Users not wanting the assemblies would not have to do anything as by default the tools don't include the "assembly" path. The "assembly" path would operate in much the same way as the "Unofficial" sub-directory
  6. Any assemblies should be named with appropriate nomenclature (e.g. Minifig Assembly) per Willy's observation in the thread identified below)
There is a "challenge" for mapping minifig torsos between the representations used by LDraw and Rebrickable (refer to this thread: https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-24014.html). Adding an "assembly" sub-directory could help solve this challenge.

I'm not suggesting the "assembly" sub-directory be used for trivial assemblies (e.g. the two hinge plates) but providing it in some circumstances (e.g. minifigs) could make using tools which use the LDraw library quite a bit easier to use - especially for less experienced users.

Regards,

David
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Complete torso shortcuts? - by David Manley - 2021-05-12, 12:20