Search path discussion

RE: Search path discussion
(2022-03-15, 23:10)Roland Melkert Wrote: I still think #2 should be changed into something like "The directory containing the current file being processed."

I understand the ldraw.exe legacy but that program assumed simple self contained models (basically an mpd on disk).

The format as grown beyond that imho.

Enforcing the rule today will cause problems loading recursive multi folder models.

For example you open model "a.ldr" containing references to "subFolder\b.ldr"

Now when b.ldr contains a line referencing "c.ldr" the original #2 rule would dictate it looks for c.ldr inside the folder containing a.ldr.

It will not be found (unless there is another c.ldr there) so the loader goes on to 'p', 'parts' etc probably never finding it.

My suggestion would make it look inside the folder 'b.ldr' sits in which is, imho, much more modular and makes it a fully recursive system which is easier to write loaders for. (most current loaders probably already do it this way).

The original rule would mean you need to reference c.ldr like "subFolder\c.ldr" inside b.ldr which will break the model when loading just b.ldr

It would also create scooping/instances nightmare as parts/models can appear different depending from where they are referenced.

I have no objection to adding the unofficial folders though.

I'm dubious that multi-folder models exist, but I will concede your point. Having said that, the top-level model folder still makes sense if you think of that folder as the current working directory for the whole model. Adding the current file's directory to the search path is reasonable, but I don't think it should replace the top-level model's directory. What about this:
  1. 0 FILE references in the currently active MPD. Note: an MPD in this context is any LDraw file that contains 0 FILE lines. "Currently active" in this context means that the files are only visible inside the MPD, and are not visible to any other files.
  2. The directory of the currently active file.
  3. The directory containing the top-level model opened by the user.
  4. <LDraw Directory>\p
  5. <LDraw Directory>\parts
  6. <LDraw Directory>\models
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Search path discussion - by Orion Pobursky - 2021-03-16, 13:26
RE: Search path discussion - by Travis Cobbs - 2021-03-16, 22:11
RE: Search path discussion - by Travis Cobbs - 2021-03-16, 22:09
RE: Search path discussion - by Travis Cobbs - 2021-03-17, 19:27
RE: Search path discussion - by Travis Cobbs - 2021-04-14, 18:09
RE: Search path discussion - by Travis Cobbs - 2021-04-15, 20:14
RE: Search path discussion - by Cam's Bricks - 2022-03-15, 11:08