What do I need to get started making parts for the LDraw library?

RE: What do I need to get started making parts for the LDraw library?
(2020-11-04, 0:59)Orion Pobursky Wrote: LDDP is not MacOS software. The only way to use it on MacOS is with WINE (which carries it own issues)

LDPE can be run on MacOS and Nils may have fixed the issues, not sure

LDDP runs fine for me; the only issues are things common to (almost) any Windows software running on Wine, like different expectations of the file system, inability to poll between programs (differences in executables?), that sort of thing.

LDPE runs under Java on the Mac, so it's not native but should theoretically be fine. For whatever reason, there are some persistent glitches when I use it, most notably the occasional failure of the graphic window editor to appear and other GUI problems. The issues haven't been resolved in the latest updates, and I'll admit I haven't been especially communicative about them with Nils.

That said, I can use LDPE for the most part, but I have to do more quitting and re-starting and other types of workarounds (such as using LDDP for text editing, rather than LDPE's own text interface). It's slow and clunky for me, not reflective of the powerful software I know it to be. It's also my only option for running the command-line tools, because neither they nor LETGUI will run for me under Wine.

LDCad, on the other hand, runs almost flawlessly under Wine, and while it's not intended for parts authoring, I occasionally use it for viewing and measurement purposes, as well as checking how parts render in various other programs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do I need to get started making parts for the LDraw library? - by N. W. Perry - 2020-11-04, 3:01