LDraw snapshots coming up empty

RE: LDraw snapshots coming up empty
(2020-09-05, 12:33)Ber Wrote: Hi Travis,

Thank you for dropping by to help me Smile 

I tried installing the 64bit beta version you suggested. Unfortunately, I still get solid black snapshot files.

As I mentioned in my reply to Roland, the export in LDCad worked fine, (apparently suggesting OpenGL drivers are okay), if that is helpful information for you.

I am interested in getting LDView working though, happy to work with your suggestions to figure it out, and give you back any information that is helpful for you in the development of it.

I'm a sometimes software developer myself, as well as working part time in a software support helpdesk, and highly proficient in editing the Windows Registry (and not breaking it...), so don't worry about getting too technical for me Smile

I suspect that Roland was right and this is a driver problem. Bear in mind that while both LDView and LDCad use OpenGL, they do so in very different ways.

The first thing to try is to disable LDView's use of all OpenGL extensions. If this fixes the problem, you can then try to narrow down which specific extension(s) is/are causing the problem. (You definitely want LDView to be able to use as many extensions as possible.)

To disable LDView's use of OpenGL extensions, do the following:
  • Run regedit
  • Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Travis Cobbs\LDView
  • Right click on the LDView key in the tree and select New->DWORD (32-bit) Value
  • Rename the new value to IgnoreAllOGLExtensions
  • Edit the value and set it to 1
Exit LDView if it is running and run it again. Then open your model and save the snapshot. If this doesn't fix the problem, then I honestly have no idea what is going on. If it does fix the problem, the next step is to try to figure out which OpenGL extension is causing the problem.

To do this, edit the IgnoreAllOGLExtensions value and set it to 0. The most likely other problem extensions are FBO, PBuffer, and PixelFormat. So try creating one or more of the following DWORD registry values (in the same LDView registry key) with values of 1:
  • IgnoreFramebufferObject
  • IgnorePBuffer
  • IgnorePixelFormat
To be honest, if "IgnoreAll" works, and none of the above works (even all three), then I'll be very surprised. But these are the other keys that can be set to ignore other extensions:
  • IgnoreAniso
  • IgnoreMultiDrawArrays
  • IgnoreMultisample
  • IgnoreMultisampleFilterHint
  • IgnoreVAR
  • IgnoreVBO
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
LDraw snapshots coming up empty - by Ber - 2020-09-02, 5:22
RE: LDraw snapshots coming up empty - by Ber - 2020-09-03, 19:56
RE: LDraw snapshots coming up empty - by Ber - 2020-09-05, 12:20
RE: LDraw snapshots coming up empty - by Ber - 2020-09-05, 12:33