Instruction making rant

Instruction making rant
I made two instruction for reasonably complex (but not even too big) Technic models, and the process is needlessly painful. So I have a couple of questions and a rant about the future of instruction making software. This is a completely newbie post, so I hope it does not sound too offensive. As English is not my native language it is a little hard for me to write criticism correctly, but I do recognize the seniority of the forum members about these matters. I certainly do not know much about the whole Ldraw software, so I would gladly read explanation why things are done the way they are done. Also some of my nitpicks may be explained by me failing to find some features.

Questions
  1. Is there a way to use buffer exchange without pain? How do you insert the BUFXCHG line? I know that you can insert it by dragging it from LDCad part bin (which usually inserts it in a wrong place) or write it manually in the source (which requires to reload the model). What is worse, if you apply buffer exchange to a submodel, you have to copy and flatten the whole submodel later (and also ignore it in PLI).
  2. What is the relation between Studio part library and LDraw? Do they just copy it or do they contribute something?
  3. Is there a way to show model from different angle easily? Currently the only way I know is copy the whole model as a subfile, ignore all the parts in the subfile and display it as a callout without arrows. This does not scale well: suppose you have to change something in the beginning of the model, then you'll have to change all the copies too.
Rant

In my opinion, if we want to keep anyone use open software and not Studio (which is also somewhat slow, buggy, closed-source and uses proprietary format), LPub3D and LDCad should be way better. My feeling is that now all new users come to Studio, as it is actually usable.

LDCad is really great, it works very fast, even with huge models and on weak computers, its GUI is really effective and documentation is good. I have only minor nitpicks about it:
  • You can't pin compass window. I don't really need the whole compass, it is too big anyway. But I do need the the ASR/NSR switch because if ASR is enabled you can lose current orientation by switching steps, so I constantly check the switch.
  • You need to go to the outer submodel to check the flexible part length
  • Flexible nets are not supported
  • I know you can make part bin with colors (even with counts, that is very cool, much faster than Studio), but it would be useful to quickly change color bin selection to only physically available colors for the part. Maybe even make such mode default, but quickly switchable to current mode.
At the same time, LPub3D experience is terrible, some of that is due to the current implementation and some is due to general design choices (IMHO).
The worst thing is speed. It usually take more than a full minute to render an new page after the next button click. Than is on a decent hardware IMO (quad-core i7-8650U, NVMe storage, more than enough RAM). "Convert to callout" can take several minutes, and even right mouse click can take several seconds to actually show the menu. LDCad is capable of displaying models in real time with reasonably high FPS, so that is definitely possible.

The whole thing is buggy, it crashes regularly, once it deleted a whole subfile. There are a lot of minor bugs in the current implementation, to name a few:
  • Part annotations do not show in callouts
  • Output depends on platform and environment
  • Incorrect BOM with REMOVE GROUP
  • BOM looks terrible compared to official ones (I tried many sorting options, it all looks wrong and unreadable)
  • Export to rebrickable and bricklink works not flawlessly
  • LPub crops images with small camera distance, so it is not possible to pan to specific part of a model
  • LPub inserts another submodel preview on every page of multi-page submodel if the page is a multi-step
  • Part annotations are only inserted once per part
  • Submodel-level colors work not quite the same way as they do in the official manuals
The whole LPub3D automatic layout and margin management is hard to use. Even small movement makes several elements to change position, so it is very hard to place elements, especially with enormous redraw times. I end up using absolute (page) position. The whole relative element placement is very frustrating, it is hard to control.

LPub multi-step layout and margins look very wrong (compare https://imgur.com/5DYF5Cx and https://i.imgur.com/kYRTVWf)

Lack of full spec does not help (https://trevorsandy.github.io/lpub3d/ass...mands.html is partially incorrect)

I believe if I had such problems with LPub it is hard to maintain so big thanks to Trevor for doing this. I opened several issues and made some minimal contributions on the Github and Trevor provided very quick answers and edits. But I spent some time even figuring out how to build it to make minimal changes to the code. I think simpler build process and more instructions would be helpful.

Future

As for the future of LPub and LDCad, I have some thoughts about features which would make the process easier and make some competition with Studio possible.

LPub3D default settings should follow current Lego visual language (colors, fonts, margins, rotation icon look, BOM sorting order, line width, which parts use annotations and which don't). The default output should look like 42111 instruction, not like some adhoc script output.

LDCad, preferably, should have ability to store zoom and pan steps and display them in same way in does with ROTSTEPs

Rotation icon should be inserted automatically if the next step is a ROTSTEP (with an option to suppress this default)

I'd like to make callouts with complex shape (see https://imgur.com/ixTDV8b) and more complex callout arrows (https://imgur.com/41eIKeo) easier. Also it would be nice to allow to have submodel last step and its application on same page with a divider, (see https://imgur.com/QGdf5kb)

Maybe subfile header should include part substitution info. As usually you don't need the whole flexibility of PLI BEGIN SUB, as you don't replace arbitrary subsets of a model with arbitrary parts, you only need to replace a submodel with bent part with it's original state. Moreover, even if the said submodel is used multiple times, it is always replaced with the same part. I know that LDCad has partName and partDescr metas (which are not used anyway), but this could also be used with universal joints, shock absorbers, hinges and other parts.

Both current possibilities to change assembled model, BUFEXCHG and REMOVE GROUP are hard to use (unless I am missing something) and limiting. Official instruction use them all the time, see the beginning of 42082 manual (https://imgur.com/jgzpMnd), it is quite time consuming to replicate such steps. Also sometimes you need to rotate parts of a model, move pins or connect cables or tubes. I don't have any ideas of a new syntax for this. Maybe the problem is that the current mechanism is too generic, as you really don't replace random parts with some other random parts, you only substitute the same parts with different positions, and you very rarely need to actually remove parts. I'm not saying saying it shouldn't be supported though

LDCad should have arrow generator, similar to current path generator, so that such arrows (https://imgur.com/bOJdK71) could be made easily.
Generally, there should be two kinds of arrows, "real arrows" and "sprite arrows" (I am not sure whether it is a correct name).
Real arrows should be parts, maintained and distributed officially by LDraw. As LDraw aims to make an official Lego part library with all (and only) official parts produced by Lego, it is reasonable to also maintain official design elements. Instruction designers will have a unified set of them, so they don't have to ship their custom arrows with the instruction. Big yellow arrows used to move parts of a model (https://imgur.com/D6iyDpb) should also be included as parts. Highlighting frames and circles such as https://imgur.com/Ag5Te9E could also be included.
Sprite arrows should be generated by LDCad (they could be straight, maybe aligned to relative grid or curved, exactly the same as paths like cables and tubes) and rendered by LPub in such way that the arrow always faces the camera and always has the same width.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Instruction making rant - by Daniel R - 2020-05-22, 23:30
RE: Instruction making rant - by Daniel R - 2020-05-24, 11:32
RE: Instruction making rant - by Daniel R - 2020-05-24, 12:05
RE: Instruction making rant - by Daniel R - 2020-05-27, 1:01
RE: Instruction making rant - by N. W. Perry - 2020-05-26, 16:53
RE: Instruction making rant - by N. W. Perry - 2020-05-26, 17:49
RE: Instruction making rant - by N. W. Perry - 2020-05-26, 21:03
RE: Instruction making rant - by Daniel R - 2020-05-27, 1:39
RE: Instruction making rant - by N. W. Perry - 2020-05-27, 22:18
RE: Instruction making rant - by Daniel R - 2020-05-27, 1:47