973p8j - Minifig Torso with Town Vest with Pockets and Stiped Tie pattern

RE: 973p8j - Minifig Torso with Town Vest with Pockets and Stiped Tie pattern
(2020-04-30, 15:49)Orion Pobursky Wrote: No. It looks kind of like Flesh but all the sets this torso has been used in are Town sets. The LEGO supplied render on Rebrickable has it in yellow.

Hmm…so the LEGO render tells us what it ideally represents: a white shirt, with a patch of the underlying "skin" color showing at the top. On the other hand, the known uses of the pattern, all of which appear to be printed on black, result in a shirt that appears light blue with a patch of white (or near-white) underneath, because of the transparency of the ink.

This reminds me of the discussion about the envelope parts, where the shadow color in the pattern depends on the underlying plastic color, or at least is informed by it. Perhaps there needs to be an agreed standard for how to model this real-world property?

I think I've read that, for patterns, it's desirable to aim toward representing the real-life version as closely as practical. On the other hand, some amount of "idealization" is beneficial to account for things like printing offsets or variations in color quality. At the same time, the effect of ink transparency on an underlying base color is doubtless part of TLG's quality control process—that is, "what it looks like" is almost certainly considered in production, alongside "what it's supposed to be".

In short, is the difference between the intended color and the apparent color a feature, or a bug?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 973p8j - Minifig Torso with Town Vest with Pockets and Stiped Tie pattern - by N. W. Perry - 2020-04-30, 17:14