Rotation & angle of universal joint?

RE: Rotation & angle of universal joint?
EDIT: Never mind. Big Grin While reading through the script to figure out the necessary math, I noticed this line:
Code:
endCPosOri:mulRotateBA(90, 0, 0, 90) --optional

Commenting out that optional line made it unnecessary to rotate the end piece in the first place, so my question, while still of interest, now becomes purely academic.

(But why is the vector argument here 0, 0, 90 instead of 0, 0, 1 for the z-axis?) Huh

Follow-up question: Let's say I've applied the script (the improved one that now comes with LDCad, naturally) as above, and now I want to rotate one of the U-joints 90 degrees longitudinally—for example, so that the slots align on the center link?

It's easy enough to rotate the ends, just by changing signs and moving 1's around in the matrix. But how about for the center piece? That seems like it should be just as easy, but I can't work out the right process.

Theoretically, you could rotate the ends and then re-apply the script to just that one joint, but this seems to introduce slight misalignments that weren't present when applying the script to both joints at once. I'd like to retain the calculations done by the script the first time and just manually type in the 90 degree rotation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rotation & angle of universal joint? - by N. W. Perry - 2021-08-22, 17:09