Proposed Flexible Part Language Extension

RE: Proposed Flexible Part Language Extension
(2018-12-01, 4:59)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I think a FLEX prefix would be appropriate in place of the LDCAD one. That groups the PATH and SPRING metas together.

I was thinking something similar

(2018-12-01, 4:59)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Could you explain what the utility is of having these show up in official parts? I'm not sure I'm understanding the use case in the official library.

The official parts won’t really need this. I think the main use for these will be to standardize flexible part generation across editors/viewers. I feel this is one of the largest outstanding (aside from part snapping) in the LDraw system.

(2018-12-01, 4:59)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I also don't understand what you mean by auto-generated fallback code. LDView doesn't support any of these metas, but it was my understanding that they were designed to be used by the editor to then generate standard LDraw geometry. So only editors would have any need to support them. Am I missing something important?

Fallback code is optional. The entire part can be generated and displayed by the editor using only the info in the METAs. I believe LDCad actually does this and only generates the fallback code if requested. Where the fallback code is useful is for legacy editors.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proposed Flexible Part Language Extension - by Orion Pobursky - 2018-12-01, 6:08