LDCad 2.0 GUI Thoughts

RE: LDCad 2.0 GUI Thoughts
(2018-02-27, 8:19)Milan Vančura Wrote: Hi Roland.

I know this is not about GUI only, a mix of ideas but it's the only topic for LDCad 2.0 so I put them here:

I found LDCad going extremely slow sometimes. Like updating the screen once per two seconds, nearly useless for any editing. I cannot trace real sources but it seems to be when I try to move a bigger submodel (50-100 bricks or bigger, approx.) with part snapping turned on. Also, the submodel snaps in many unwanted positions while dragged by mouse. My hypothesis is both problems are results of the same: LDCad calculates snapping for all snap objects of the moved submodel, including those "hidden" or "used" ones.
So this is my idea for LDCad 2.0: flag snap objects in the model when they are blocked and, by default, calculate snapping for "free" objects only.

Another step of this idea would be LDCad understanding the term "connected parts" - basics of mechanics in LDCad, similar to what it was in SR3D.

To end with something really about GUI only: the reason why the problem above is even worse experience is that LDCad makes the selected part "jumping" somewhere at the beginning of mouse dragging. So it doesn't help to move such submodel to a close position without snapping (no performance problems). Because when starting the next drag movement by mouse, the part (submodel) jumps. Please turn this jump function off Big Grin

I agree that the jumping can be a bit annoying, but I found that once I understood the reason for it, I could deal with it much better. The jump is to position the submodel/part/selection with the origin of the submodel/part/first-selected-part at the mouse cursor, so that if you're looking at the grid or the info-box to position the submodel/part/selection, then the origin goes exactly where it appears to be, rather than having some arbitrary mouse offset (which might be tough to determine precisely given you have a 2D perspective onto a 3D model).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
LDCad 2.0 GUI Thoughts - by Roland Melkert - 2017-08-23, 20:41
RE: LDCad 2.0 GUI Thoughts - by Owen Dive - 2017-08-23, 21:06
RE: LDCad 2.0 GUI Thoughts - by Owen Dive - 2018-02-27, 9:17
RE: LDCad 2.0 GUI Thoughts - by Johann Eisner - 2019-04-01, 15:55
RE: LDCad 2.0 GUI Thoughts - by Johann Eisner - 2019-04-01, 16:54