MAJOR program issues -- maybe Windows related

RE: MAJOR program issues -- maybe Windows related
(2017-05-21, 4:04)Travis Cobbs Wrote:
(2017-05-20, 19:50)Roland Melkert Wrote: This sounds like virtual store behavior. It happens to files located in program files which modern windows expects to be readonly. For backwards compatibility it stores changes to those files in another (virtual) location.

It is best to save your models into e.g. my documents.

Also, if you use LDView's LDraw library update functionality, you should install the LDraw library in somewhere other than Program Files or Program Files (x86). I personally stick it in my user folder (C:\users\travis\ldraw), and if you're the only one using the computer, that's a good place for it. If multiple people use the computer, then C:\ProgramData\ldraw is a good place for it.

Note that the technical description of exactly what is happening is somewhat complicated, but the simple answer is that when any normal program tries to write files in C:\Program Files  (x86)\ (or other protected folders), the updates get written to a location that is buried by Windows and owned by the current user. Normal programs that look at the file system see these updated files, so when you open the file from inside MLCad, you get your modified file. But Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, chose to make Windows Explorer completely ignore this mapping, so when you open the file from there, apparently you get the old unmodified version.

Thank you very much, gentlemen.  I will look to move the folders.

Will I have to reinstall so that the software looks for a different "models" location so I can add sub-models, or can I change where MLCad looks for that file?  I know I can change the library location in LDraw, but I don't know about Models.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: MAJOR program issues -- maybe Windows related - by Nathan S - 2017-05-24, 4:43