MAJOR program issues -- maybe Windows related

RE: MAJOR program issues -- maybe Windows related
(2017-05-20, 19:50)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2017-05-20, 18:42)Nathan S Wrote: What is happening is that files/builds are not opening and reflecting changes.  I will save changes made, and depending on how the file is opened again it won't reflect the changes made.  For example, if I right-click and "open with" for MLCad, it will not show the updates, but it may if I open MLCad and then select the recent file from the program itself.  Or if I use LDView, it won't show the saved changes, it will only show the file as it was previously.  And there is no consistency to this either, it changes what shows updated and what does not.

This sounds like virtual store behavior. It happens to files located in program files which modern windows expects to be readonly. For backwards compatibility it stores changes to those files in another (virtual) location.

It is best to save your models into e.g. my documents.

Also, if you use LDView's LDraw library update functionality, you should install the LDraw library in somewhere other than Program Files or Program Files (x86). I personally stick it in my user folder (C:\users\travis\ldraw), and if you're the only one using the computer, that's a good place for it. If multiple people use the computer, then C:\ProgramData\ldraw is a good place for it.

Note that the technical description of exactly what is happening is somewhat complicated, but the simple answer is that when any normal program tries to write files in C:\Program Files  (x86)\ (or other protected folders), the updates get written to a location that is buried by Windows and owned by the current user. Normal programs that look at the file system see these updated files, so when you open the file from inside MLCad, you get your modified file. But Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, chose to make Windows Explorer completely ignore this mapping, so when you open the file from there, apparently you get the old unmodified version.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: MAJOR program issues -- maybe Windows related - by Travis Cobbs - 2017-05-21, 4:04