Thinking about LDCad 2.0 and open sourcing it

RE: Thinking about LDCad 2.0 and open sourcing it
(2016-05-31, 5:20)Travis Cobbs Wrote: With LDView, the Windows version is native Win32, the Mac version is native Cocoa, and the Linux version is native Qt. Of course, that means that I had to write the interface twice, and someone else had to write it once. (I mentioned above that Peter maintains the Qt code.) But a majority of all LDView code is cross-platform C++ (written before C++11 was available, so not at all what "modern" C++ would look like).
I do not know what was the (historical) reason for this with LDView but one of the biggest advantages of Qt is that it is really multiplatform. Not only Linux/Windows/Mac but also iPad or Android. So for new projects, there is no need to write GUI three times.
In fact, if Roland didn't want to implement his own GUI library, I'd strongly recommend Qt (even I am really not a KDE fan!). Just being pragmatic: there is a lot of work done - it's a C++ library with both its own scripting language and python bindings. It's mutiplatform and developed for many years, stable. And, even I do not know it to work with, I am able to read the others' Qt code and fix some bugs there. What shows the code is relatively easy to read. And, also, it allows the application to look natural on all platforms and supports multilingual applications with Unicode very well. So my opinion is it might make sense for Roland to use it and concentrate on direct openGL usage for time-critical issues like fast model rendering. But it's up to Roland.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thinking about LDCad 2.0 and open sourcing it - by Milan Vančura - 2016-05-31, 6:21