Thinking about LDCad 2.0 and open sourcing it

RE: Thinking about LDCad 2.0 and open sourcing it
I can't really give you any recommendation on which license to use and not really on which language to use either.

At my current 'opleiding' (for some reason I can't find the right English word), we get Java (I would've gotten C++ if I chose another direction). I personally don't like it that much, desktop apps often feel slow when made with Java. I think the major advantage of Java is that it runs on a billion different devices and operation systems. However, nowadays more and more languages and frameworks have multi-device support. Take a look at this google trends chart...

I would love to help (although not with the Mac side, I don’t have a Mac), but I’m probably not that helpful. I only know the bare basics of C++ and just a ‘medium’ amount of Java and Python. I’m sure there are other people willing to help with a lot more knowledge than I have (yet).

I do understand though, that you might be a bit hesitant to go open-source. It’s your own ‘little’ hobby-project you’ve been working on for years, and suddenly everyone can access and modify it. I can see that might feel weird. Just do whatever you think is best, after all, it’s (still) your own work.

Btw, why do you actually want to use OpenGL fort he GUI and not something more… native (a framework or API or whatever that’s made to create a GUI)?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thinking about LDCad 2.0 and open sourcing it - by Merlijn Wissink - 2016-05-30, 11:32