With LDD Being Discontinued I've elected to migrate to LDraw and would like some help

RE: With LDD Being Discontinued I've elected to migrate to LDraw and would like some help
(2016-04-17, 0:33)Hamish Grace Wrote: How would I go about 'setting up my own custom bins', and what is part bin seeking?
Surely official part colours is a fairly important part of any LEGO CAD application..
I'm wanting to use a digital LEGO system so i can design builds and purchase the parts for them from bricklink, so official part colours is important.

I found the FAQ on your site and enabled part snapping, thanks for that.  But why no collision detection?
You can create custom bin content by editing/adding .pbg files in the %appdata%\LDCad\partbin\  folder. See the techdocs on my site and the readme.txt files in the folder for more information.

For an example of colored parts see the set bin group (jeep/truck icon in the bin, and then e.g. the 8071 set.

Colored parts in LDraw are really just hardcoded normal part references, so you won't have the part numbers LDD uses.

There are however a few parts that do have those numbers. These are the official physically colored parts. This is an optional sub branche of the official part library but is far from complete and somewhat abandended. Mayne one of the official library authors/maintainers can give you more info on this.

Those parts can be found in the sorted/static colored parts bin (white chicken icon when using the latest library). With bin seeking I ment you will spent more time trying to find a specific part as the bin is not designed with them in mind.

As for no collision detection... The LDraw library has zero connection info so I had to add that for all the parts currently snapping, this is alot of work and having to also add full collision detection information would make it even more time consuming. Also the involved math etc would make it even more complicated while I'm not 100% sure it is that essential to begin with. I might add it one day if all other features are done tough Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: With LDD Being Discontinued I've elected to migrate to LDraw and would like some help - by Roland Melkert - 2016-04-17, 18:16