OMR specification and unofficial files

Re: OMR specification and unofficial files
I have actually missed that thread but as I'm reworking my sets to make them OMR compliant, I'd like to express my point of view on this inlining of unofficial parts :

I personally don't like that at all. For several reasons :
I would not be able to use a LGEO equivalent for rendering a part if it is defined like that (this is my main concern).
I don't like to have anything which is not a part in my sets.
Ldview will simply download the part if it is missing.
If the part is changing on the tracker, it will never show up in the model.
Imagine the origin is changing, it quite easy to see and to update. Same if name is changing.
I am 100% sure OMR repository models will not be updated to remove the inlined part when it will be official.

I have the feeling that this rule has been made for only a few particular cases. I am pretty sure more than 90% of unofficial parts become official without a name change and a origin redefinition.
A lot of unofficial parts inlcuded on my sets are patterned parts I submit to the tracker before building the set. As for me there is no reason to inline those parts as the origin won't change, and rarely the name, even if the name changes all viewers will give an error and point this out.

The two points of view have pros and cons. But I think there is much more cons in inlining the part than there are pros, at least for a render guy as me.

Could you express on that?

Maybe, I have a suggestion:
What about two status: OMR compliant with/without unofficial parts.
It could be much easier to check when parts become available (just a quick open in ldview to see if everything is still OK) than with an inlined part that no one is aware about.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: OMR specification and unofficial files - by Damien Roux - 2016-03-03, 22:14