LDCad Part Snapping Guidelines

Re: LDCad Part Snapping Guidelines
Jason McReynolds Wrote:It would seem that in order to get clips to snap in the red area you would also have to allow pieces to end up in positions where they overlap. Same goes for allowing all parts to travel the full distance of the handle in the second example. Is this how it should be done (i.e. allow overlap)? Or, is there a way to add meta to allow all of these combinations without allowing overlap? Are there any guidelines I should be following in situations like this? Am I over thinking this? Smile
Yes currently if you want clips to go at the red area you need to extend the meta to cover it, at the cost of normal holes to go there too. Or just move the clip using the editing pin move control after initial placement (might need a relative grid).

I encountered this problem myself while working on part 60849, the reason the hand pin extends into the red area as I thought it would be used the most by minifig hands.

A better solution would be to add new snap properties to SNAP_CYL to indicate a section can only be used combined with clips. This is something I'm considering. But as the current snapping feature is meant to be a guide and not full multi point / occupied / collision detection etc, I'm wondering if it is really needed. Such an option would also require all clip metas to be correctly orientated gap wise, but I think most of them already are (through dumb luck Smile.

In the meantime try to optimize info for use in the most likely scenarios, or at least in a way which will not hamper normal usage.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: LDCad Part Snapping Guidelines - by Roland Melkert - 2015-10-12, 0:04