Issues with parts/wedges with 45* angles

Issues with parts/wedges with 45* angles
So, as I was finishing up my work on 14413.dat (4 x 4 faceted brick), I decided to compare it with other parts with 45 degree angled sides to see how the castlated sections on the bottoms (e.g. stud holes). I started off comparing it with other facets and as I expected, they were the same (not really a surprise since my part was based off these parts).

Then, I decided to compare it to the 3x3 Brick w/o Corner (30505). Things were slighly different, but just noticably. Next I looked at plates (3x3, 4x4 6x6, 8x8, 10x10 w/o Corners). With the exception of the 4x4 (which I'll explain in a second), these were all different, with a slightly wider gap. Upon further inspection, these used a primitive called ribt45, which, as far as I can tell, is the only primitive out there related to 45 degree angled parts. Now, the 4x4 was the exception, as it was entirely hand-drawn (it used absolutely no primitives) and had castlations like the faceted parts. Now, as far as I can tell, those parts using the ribt45 subpart (which are slightly wider) provide better clearance for the stud than the hand-drawn ones, which typically just nip the stud (but only when really zoomed in).

Oh, and regarding 30505, I eventually discovered that it was a combination of the faceted style on one side and ribt45 on the other. It was definately the oddball and the only part like this out there.

Confused yet? There's more. I then looked at 43708 (Slope Brick 18 4x4 Corner), which, mind you, is an absolute masterpiece of a part (I looked through a good portion of it... wow!). It's castlations are even farther apart than those using ribt45 (although, in my opinion, a little too far apart).

Then I looked at 87421 (Panel 3 x 3 x 6 Wall Corner without Bottom Indentations), which is different still from everything else, but closest to 43708 (but just ever so slighly narrower). Oh, and this is different from the previous version of this part (2345 - Panel 3 x 3 x 6 Wall Corner), which is like the parts that use ribt45 (except it doesn't use ribt45).

So yeah, I'd like to adhere to the "standard", but from what I can tell, there isn't any. The ribt45 seems like a great start for creation a standard, but that part is only useful for plates, and even there only when it's shaped like a "T". I'd be willing to take on the job of working on a lot of these parts if we could create and agree on some sort of standard for this. Now, I suppose there's the real possibility that these parts really ARE different in real life, but I tend to doubt it, since these differents are quite small (they're really only noticable when zoomed in really close). I don't know, maybe I'm just being anal. But isn't that one of the main requirements for being a part author/reviewer? Smile
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm theJude! So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, his Judeness, or uh, Juder, or el Juderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Issues with parts/wedges with 45* angles - by Jude Parrill - 2013-07-22, 8:41