Thoughts on flexible part options

Re: Thoughts on flexible part options
Thanks Jason and Philippe,

The above screenshots are from standalone (sub/mpd) model files you use to define the actual path and overall appearance (end caps, length restrains etc). These (normal ldr) files can also be placed in a special folder which makes them templates.

When you drop a part from such folder (using the bin like all other parts) in your model a new submodel (or standalone ldr) will be created and the contents of the template will be copied into it. You can then use this as a starting situation from inside your main model by 'molding' it to its final shape and location.

So most people never need to configure the dialogs shown in the previews, that's template work which I will do for most common flexible parts in front. Users need only to place the pin like points / and end caps in order to bend the path, this is more or less the same as with LSynth, except the result will be visible directly after any change (and you are forced to use a submodel). All editing will be pretty much the same as working with normal parts. Except the segment between two path points will be a bezier curve with two control points (the red and green spheres).

In the next next version I will also make closed paths possible for use with rubberbands etc, those will need different segment types besides bezier (whom then also will be usable for non closed paths).

I hope this is somewhat like you expect / want for working with flexable parts, if not any thoughts are welcome. I could still make some changes at this point cause the gui part of the 'molding' process from inside a higher model isn't ready yet. I've got the whole template editing / generating part pretty much done though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thoughts on flexible part options - by Roland Melkert - 2013-01-22, 20:29