LDraw.org 2012-02 Parts Update Now Available

Re: LDraw.org 2012-02 Parts Update Now Available
Steffen Wrote:My question has 2 aspects:
(a) quicker orientation on our website
(b) using the parts updates images like an "icon" or "title" for them.

Re (a):
I like that our main page now has big, easily recognizable images for its main portions
- "Get Started"
- "Parts Updates"
- "Tutorials"
(However,
- "News"
currently still lacks one.)
My question had simply asked to re-use these images on the pages where they link to.
This - at least for me - would make site navigation quicker and visually more intuitive.
So I'm suggesting to use the image of "Get Started" at the top of the "Get Started" page,
use the image of "Tutorials" at the top of the "Tutorials" page,
use the image of "News" at the top of the "News" page.
As for "Parts Updates", see (b).

The picture would take up valuable screen real estate and I'm not sure I'd be willing to give it up. Especially on 'Get Started' with its columns. Similarly the 'news' uses almost all the box (whose size was chosen to make sure all four show on most laptop screens) so adding a picture would, again, mess with the real estate. 'Tutorials' and 'Latest Parts Update' could probably fit an image.

Quote:Re (b):
In the past, we had beautifully crafted images for each parts update.
To me, these functioned like a kind of visual "icon" or "title" for each one.
I see that restoring the old ones for previous updates would maybe mean too much effort,
but I would like to ask to use image http://www.ldraw.org/uploads/images/Site...012-02.png
on page http://www.ldraw.org/parts/latest-parts.html, in the brown box of this update.
Future updates could do as well, so we get the unique graphics back.
For me, they are a simple visual clue and reminder with which update I'm particularly dealing.

- just a suggestion -
Steffen

I quite like this idea. I'll add another version of the box that can include an image.

Tim
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: LDraw.org 2012-02 Parts Update Now Available - by Tim Gould - 2012-08-10, 21:04
problem with file 45729.dat - by Steffen - 2012-08-10, 16:10
Re: problem with file 45729.dat - by Steffen - 2012-08-10, 18:14
Re: problem with file 45729.dat - by Steffen - 2012-08-10, 20:41