Thoughts about flexible parts

Re: Thoughts about flexible parts
Steffen Wrote:Doing so would mean that you hard-code the geometry of those parts into your tool,
and this way the tool wouldn't be any longer independent from geometry changes in the library.

I don't see why that's a problem, with the backwards compatibility going on at the moment I don't see e.g. type 3 lines change any time soon. Also if it would to change many other parts of the tool will need updates anyway.

Or do you somehow think those parts will only be visible in LDCad? If so that's not my goal, I plan to generate separate LDraw files containing the mesh, so any LDraw tool will display it just fine.

Steffen Wrote:Using the "sweeping" technique doesn't bring bad images.
It's a common technique people use in e.g. POVRay scenes, known from the beginning of 3D rendering.

In povray objects are 'merged' and so it wont matter, but in LDraw it will cause visual gaps at close inspection. This always bothered me while using LSynth so I will try to prevent that in my own editor.

But don't worry I will support the sweeping method in such away you could choose not to use the hard coded versions if you really want to.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thoughts about flexible parts - by Roland Melkert - 2012-07-22, 21:04