Planning for Parts Update 2012-01

Re: Planning for Parts Update 2012-01
OK, so as I delve further down the rabbit hole, some issues are arising. After looking at some tires already in the correct nomenclature and re-calculating/figuring them to see if I arrive at the same results, I've noticed some things that seem to clash with with what Magnus has said, as well as just some general issues.

Rounding - For the most part, it seems like most people round to the nearest integer, although not all. Given that you must multiply the LDUs by 0.4 to put them into millimeters (I actually found an article that states this... well, it's actually more like .3993, but .4 is a close enough approximation for this), this will almost always lead to having a single decimal point, although never more, so to me, keeping the decimal point seems reasonable.

Profile - OK, so after doing some thinking and a little research, I realized this actually refers to length of the sidewalls on the tire. Now according Magnus's definition (which is, I believe, the correct definition), this is the length of the sidewall when the rim is attached, so that it doesn't include the bits which are embedded into the rim (which is what I believe is used on real tires). However, it seems on many tires that the authors actually would include these bits in their calculations, which makes them inconsistent. This leads me to believe that further clarification is required, both for me and part authors.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm theJude! So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, his Judeness, or uh, Juder, or el Juderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Planning for Parts Update 2012-01 - by Jude Parrill - 2012-03-30, 8:44
Tyre Nomenclature - by Philippe Hurbain - 2012-05-25, 7:19
Re: Tyre Nomenclature - by Chris Dee - 2012-05-25, 8:19
Re: Tyre Nomenclature - by Steffen - 2012-05-25, 16:39
Re: Tyre Nomenclature - by Chris Dee - 2012-05-25, 19:44