Are standards for official parts too strict?

Re: Are standards for official parts too strict?
Allen Smith Wrote:About all I've done in the post so far is gripe, so I'll try to redeem it with an semi-serious suggestion: make the Part Tracker a wiki, or at least more like Wikipedia. Make it so anyone who cares can contribute meaningfully, and anyone who loves minutae can make tweaks personally rather than holding "hold" votes over the original author's head.
Allen

I'm glad you label this as "semi-serious", otherwise, it sounds like you don't appreciate how much functionality is built into the Parts Tracker to track dependencies, provide search and filtering capabilities and most importantly manage the parts update process. If the files were hosted on a wiki (where they could change at any moment in time, with no mechanism for identifying them as "ready for release") means that building a stable update of over 450 new parts including over 750 files (as has been the case for each of the last 3 updates) would take substantially longer than the few hours it does at the moment.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Are standards for official parts too strict? - by Chris Dee - 2012-03-20, 16:57