Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour

Re: Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour
Hey,

I am sorry but english is not my native language. So some of my statements might be confusing?

Tim Gould Wrote:If the fire pattern had appeared on a black door what colour would the flame look like? That is the relavent question for that part. My opinion that the answer is it would have a red flame. Do you think it would have black flame or red?

The fire pattern appeared on a transparent window (2494pb07). And the flame IS red. By this LEGO shows that the flame is intended to be red. For the red parts with the fire pattern they just saved the red printer color. Out of this there could be made a clear definition if a color should be hard coded or not.

When there will be such a definition, I think it is absolutely ok to color the flame red. I have changed my mind on the red flame after my research showed up the window. If I hadn't found the window, my opinion would still be that (in your example) the color of the flame should be black.

This is only one part. But there might be more and I think there should be a clear definition in the convention if a color should be hard coded or not. I do not like the idea of the "personal judgement". Not for the authors and not for the reviewers.

The next part is the part with the gauge pattern. LEGO never printed this pattern on a different color. So we do not know the intention of the designer. My oppinion is that due to this the black areas should be colored in main color.

Rolf
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour - by Rolf Osterthun - 2012-01-07, 20:54