Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour

Re: Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour
Hey,

I am not that active like you, but I would like to give some thoughts.

There is more than one official Space Police series out there. I could imagine that one day there could be a Space Fire Brigade with different colors than the terrestrial. Even the flame could have a different color. Or there could be a Hazardous Material Fire Brigade. Environmental pollution may become a theme Wink.

The statement by Steffen
Steffen Wrote:in the ldraw library we always have followed the principle to allow people to colorize their parts
as they like, even if a real LEGO part of that does not exist. this is one very nice thing of our library.
is new to me, but as mentioned: I am not that active. I thought that such parts are custom parts. Could you give me an example?

And I think that the discussed parts will become custom parts too, when you set the colors hard coded. What will happen if LEGO decides to pattern a blue brick with a red flame? Would this be a new design number? What will happen if LEGO decides to put a green flame on a green brick? Change the hard coded part; create another hard coded part?

There was a time where the LDD only provided parts that were produced (or at least were on sale) at that time. And I hated it. LDraw is much more flexible and I like it for this.

What is the goal of the LDraw parts library? Providing all official LEGO parts? Providing only official LEGO parts? May it contain custom parts?

Plese remember: This are only some thoughts.

Rolf
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour - by Rolf Osterthun - 2012-01-05, 14:22