Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour

Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour
An issue has arisen on the Parts Tracker that I think deserves wider discussion than is possible there.

By convention, we only model the printed colours of patterns and use colour 16 for any unprinted areas. This allows the base part colour to "show through" when rendered. Although this is exactly what would happen if LEGO were to print the pattern on another colour of part, there is an argument that in some cases we are restricting the usability of the LDraw library by doing this.

The Fire Logo Pattern has caused most concern. By leaving the unprinted left-hand flame as colour 16, the LDraw part files that use this can only really be used in red. The second example is the Slope Brick 45 2 x 2 with Gauge Pattern, which is normally printed on black and uses the base part colour to create some of the detail. The potential benefit is shown in this rendering by Magnus Forsberg - left image = "desired" rendering on green; centre image = actual pattern on black"; right image = actual pattern on green.

I can see that the case is clear for the Fire Logo - the left flame was always intended to be red. For other patterns, including the Gauge Pattern, we would need to guess about the intent of the pattern designer. That guesswork makes it very difficult to apply any consistency, and potentially generates more controversy than the current discussion, as the implementation will depend on each person's interpretation of the design intent. The benefit of the current solution is that it is totally unambiguous, but I fear we are applying rules for their own sake and denying rendering opportunities to the users of the LDraw parts library.

For now I have certified these patterns and their parent parts as they now fit with the current convention. However, I would welcome further discussion, opinions and potential solutions.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Modelling patterns that depend on the underlying part colour - by Chris Dee - 2012-01-05, 7:21