replacing the filename with the file data but getting no graphical data

Re: replacing the filename with the file data but getting no graphical data
Kris Finney Wrote:I want to use the transformation matrix with the primitives, in one .dat file
Ok, great, but to accomplish what.

Unless I know specifics, the best advice I can give is to point you to relevant documentation.

For example, if you said, I need four super huge suds arranged in a line on top of my thingamabob, then I could suggest that normally, one would use either p/stug-1x4.dat or stug4-1x4.dat (the difference being the orientation of the studs, which does matter) and include it with something that looks like
Code:
1 4 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 10 stug-1x4.dat
except that in your case, it would not be a good idea to use this technique for two reasons:
  • Many programs will substitute their own models for studs (ie. LDView for the stud logos, and pretty much every POV-Ray associated piece of code ever), and thus scaling them may have unexpected consequences.
  • You really shouldn't scale stud groups because they themselves are made up of primitives which are not meant to be scaled. If you want to use primitives that you can scale, use those found in the p/48/ directory because they have an extra digit of precision and thus can be scaled by up to a factor of 10 while retaining the same quality as their non-high-res versions, thus there would actually be a case for either inlining the stud and modifying it to use high-res primitives, or creating a high-res stud subpart and including that.

I understand that this is almost certainly not what you are trying to do and thus not very helpful (I just pulled it out of my ear) but without specific details the best I can do is say, "Umm, go read this thing? I think it'll help but I'm not really sure if its relevant because I don't actually know what you're trying to do."
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: replacing the filename with the file data but getting no graphical data - by Jean-Philippe Ouellet - 2011-12-28, 12:25