Fixing rounding errors in primitives

Fixing rounding errors in primitives
This is a continuation of this thread. The thread pointed out rounding errors in existing primitives. I have briefly discussed the issue with Chris, and what has to be done in order to fix the issue. He proposed that not only are fixed parts submitted, but also all official parts which have to be updated due to the changes.

Primitives are used very often in the LDraw library, so each change to a primitive will be associated with a large amount of affected files.

I encourage separate posts in this thread for each fixed primitive. Each post should contain:

- What the fix of the primitive is.
- An overview of all parts that use the primitive.
- Proposed fix of all parts that use the primitive and are affected.

This is my workflow. If you want to contribute to this, then I recommend using it as a starting point (and please find ways to optimize it, since this is taking a lot of time)

1) Use a primitive generator and tester like this to find a primitive with rounding errors.
2) Manually verify and document the error.
3) Fix the file (and the 8/ and 48/ version as well if affected)
4) Find files that use the primitive (I use "grep -ir primitive.dat ." since I use Linux tools, such as cygwin)
5) Go through each file and check all the points from lines of type 2, 3, 4 and 5. If any point lies next to a fixed point, then that point has to be updated. I have made a tool to find these points. If you are interested, I can share the tool with you. Right now it is a bit too technical to be released.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Fixing rounding errors in primitives - by Lasse Deleuran - 2021-10-15, 17:49
Fix of 1-4ring5.dat - by Lasse Deleuran - 2021-10-15, 17:54
RE: Fix of 1-4ring5.dat - by Travis Cobbs - 2021-10-15, 18:20
RE: Fix of 1-4ring5.dat - by Lasse Deleuran - 2021-10-15, 18:30
RE: Fix of 1-4ring5.dat - by Lasse Deleuran - 2021-10-15, 20:06