Help converting -all- .dat parts to fbx/obj/stl/usd/anyConventionalFileFormat

RE: Help converting -all- .dat parts to fbx/obj/stl/usd/anyConventionalFileFormat
(2021-08-22, 12:45)KristyB Wrote: I'm trying to build a library of game-ready parts for use in video games, and would like a library of low-poly bricks to fall back on for bricks I have not yet converted by hand. I've dug around and tried a few methods so far, but all have failed to work.

LdrDat2Obj: Processes 1,466 dats out of the 14,038 in ldraw's parts directory, and then exits silently with no error or log. the last brick it appears to process is 22385p050.dat It processes the parts in an order I can't decipher, so skipping this last brick and moving on isn't possible.

LdrDat2Obj2: no apparent batch process

Toby Nelson/TobyLobster's blender importer: seems to work well, but only allows one .dat to import at a time - that's not workable with 14,000 parts.

Matthew Morrison's blender importer: Crashes every time I try to import a .dat file. I posted more details about the crash in his thread: https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-24153.html

LDView: no apparent batch process

Stud.IO: no way I can see to create a file that contains each brick once.

If I could get the ldraw parts into any conventional 3D model format I would be able to batch convert the results into something game engines can use, including obj, fbx, stl, dae, and -probably- usd.

Are you still getting the crash? I've pushed a few updates since you posted the error report.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help converting -all- .dat parts to fbx/obj/stl/usd/anyConventionalFileFormat - by Matthew Morrison - 2021-09-04, 2:36