What's the fastest ldraw editor?

RE: What's the fastest ldraw editor?
(2021-06-03, 20:51)Warren Elsmore Wrote: A bit of a wierd question, maybe, but what's the fastest ldraw editor? On any platform?

I'm wondering because the project I'm working on right now has a massive ldraw file. 25Mb and well over 100,000 parts. LeoCAD takes almost an hour just to open the file on my MacBook. Even a brand new M1 MacBook takes 3 seconds to redraw it if I change angles.

Would this be much quicker on a PC or in another editor? Would I need to shell out for a chunky graphics card? I have a lot of editing to do so I'm willing to look at any option!

MLCad is the fastest from a usability standpoint IMO. Menus and keyboard hotkeys are much quicker/more responsive. LDCad lags everywhere with large models. (You'll notice this when you try editing your model.) But, MLCad has bugs so you probably should not use it.

You could also try LeoCAD which lies somewhere in between IIRC. I like it a lot. But it has far clipping issues with large models so I have been unable to make use of it.

You'll find that all the tools have caveats and tradeoffs. You kind of have to juggle them all. (And there are dozens of tools in total!)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's the fastest ldraw editor? - by Michael Horvath - 2021-06-07, 6:22