G'day

RE: G'day
(2021-04-26, 3:01)Matthew Morrison Wrote: A big difference is that custom textured parts that come from the stud.io part designer have the png data contained inside the file. Standard LDraw parts use image files stored on the disk. The way these textures are referenced is also very different, so no LDraw editors or viewers display them. I'm working on adding support for embedded texture data to my blender importer that includes support for stud.io parts so that will change.

Another gotcha with stud.io is that the actual protect file itself is just a password protected zip file. This means that even if you have the password, using it is legally questionable because of laws regarding DRM.

The libraries aren't shared either, which means you'll be missing parts in stud.io that you have in regular LDraw tools, and vice versa. And stud.io parts aren't terribly well optimized.

OK re the texture, I did notice that when I opened the file in a text editor.

As for the .io file, that's stud.io, not part designer. PD creates .part files which are effectively .DAT files with slightly different header structure (not sure why  Confused )

The stud.io part library is based on LDraw, but yes it is separate in that each part in it has the stud.io connectivity added. Every release, though, they're adding more and more parts out of the LDraw library so eventually I suppose it'll be close.

But what I'll do is go back and use the official LDraw .DAT parts as the starting point for the decorated parts rather than the PD ones and use a different authoring tool to apply the PNGs - hopefully that'll have the PNG as separate files, too. Thanks for the heads-up on that!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
G'day - by Jason Wandel - 2021-04-22, 14:40
RE: G'day - by Orion Pobursky - 2021-04-22, 19:30
RE: G'day - by Willy Tschager - 2021-04-23, 13:56
RE: G'day - by Matthew Morrison - 2021-04-26, 3:01
RE: G'day - by Jason Wandel - 2021-04-26, 3:46