MacOS LDCad on Wine (for Mac)-revisited

RE: LDCad on Wine (for Mac)-revisited
(2021-04-13, 11:58)Manfred Kern Wrote: I don't want to disappoint you, but since MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) 32bit is no longer supported. So, Wine will not run (at least for 32 bit programs). So whatever you do, will either be temporary or will not work at all.

Yes, that's the major known issue, and why I'd like to hear from anyone who may have tried it. But all reports are that CrossOver does solve the problem…and CrossOver is essentially Wine; it's just that this particular bit of code isn't officially supported in Wine, for reasons that are way over my head. And LDCad, at least, is 64-bit, so right now that's the major motivation for a lot of people who may want to try this.

Quote:What I found is https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer. I do not know if this really helps.

What does it do, that Wine by itself doesn't?

Quote:Currently, if you want an LDraw editor, the only ones running out of the box is LeoCad and Stud.io (to my knowledge).
Bricksmith has problems with OpenGL on MacOS (Apple changed something under the hood). If you can compile the version from GitHub, I think it will work (at least on my MacOS - Big Sur). They fixed something. But this is not available as a binary from the bricksmith web page.

Another choice is running a Windows version in a virtual box such as Parallels, VMWare or Virtualbox.
I think a no cost option could be VirtualBox (which is free) and Windows. To my knowledge you can use an unregistered Windows 10 version (you will not be able to tweak the look of Windows). From a license perspective I do not know if this is legal, but technically it is working. Well to be honest, Virtualbox is not running on MacOS Big Sur either.

The last option which comes into my mind is using BootCamp if you have enough disc space. Not very comfortable having to reboot only for using LDraw editors.

It is really a sad state. I love Bricksmith because it offers more variety for flexible parts as LeoCad and Stud.io.

It is too bad, I agree. But LDCad works so well under Wine that I think it's fair to say this is still the best option by far. So we can at least get some kind of guide together for that process. The key component at this point is whether users really can't go beyond Mojave. If there is Wine or a Wine-like solution that works for the current OS, that's ideal. (Even if they just have to deal with that one quirk of LDCad under Wine 5 and up.)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: LDCad on Wine (for Mac)-revisited - by N. W. Perry - 2021-04-13, 12:56