Parts made from several individual parts.

RE: Parts made from several individual parts.
(2021-03-06, 13:52)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Hold that thought. I don't think we want to have that.
This shortcut is flawed and should be obsoleted. The position of the stick is incorrect. The hinge base is also flawed and needs to be corrected.
And in every model using this assembly the position of the stick is different, so it has to be used inlined anyway. Changing the colour of the inlined template is then easy to do.
IMHO one template, with a coloured stick, is good enough. The correct number for this assembly is 73587.

That's right, I forgot about the error. And I think I'm the one who noticed it in the first place!

I'll also agree that having zillions of shortcuts in the library isn't optimal, especially since you also have to have the component parts separately. I've noticed that for many new users, it's confusing that a single official part is represented by numerous LDraw library entries: the complete assembly, each of its subparts, and then any color/pattern variations… To my mind, the ideal would be to have a 1:1 relationship, and let the rest be user-configurable (so all you have to do is add the complete assembly to a model, and you're automatically able to position and re-color it, etc.).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Parts made from several individual parts. - by N. W. Perry - 2021-03-06, 22:40