Bricksmith Bricksmith appears to be broken on Big Sur

RE: Bricksmith appears to be broken on Big Sur
(2022-02-01, 15:37)Ryan Hicks Wrote: Happy to hear Bricksmith's being worked on...

Perhaps useful context, the app ran well on my Intel MacBooks up until I updated them to the latest OS Monterey where it apparently cannot display any of the 3d layers. Previously one machine was on Catalina, the other on Big Sur and aside the command-w crashing the app problem, Bricksmith ran fine. 

I'll look into compiling from GitHub but I doubt I'll get very far

Hi Y'all,

I think Allen has posted a real release that ships the latest code:

https://bricksmith.sourceforge.io/

Reading the release notes, I think 3.1 brings in a bunch of stuff:

- Allen fixed scrolling - this was a major impediment to running the code base on new OSes - basically the old scrolling tech was deprecated by Apple.
- This build has M1 support apparently, although from what my coworkers have told me with the M1, even in emulation it'd be fast enough. They're nice machines.
- It looks like a bunch of my UX features are rolled in, e.g. nudge piece along its own axis, jumping between main and sub-models, splitting out sub-models, etc.

So my _guess_ is that this build matches the tip of my github repo, which is what I run on my own Monterey machine (once a month).  I pinged Allen to see if he has a mirror of the repo, e..g so we could get some release tags in the source, but hopefully this unjams people who can't build.

(I _think_ the latest code should be happy to build on the latest Monterey build tools, but I am not sure.)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bricksmith appears to be broken on Big Sur - by Ben Supnik - 2022-02-05, 16:30