TEXMAP addition to Official Library Spec

RE: TEXMAP addition to Official Library Spec
(2020-07-21, 23:30)Roland Melkert Wrote: Something that does bother me a bit though, is the fact we seem to assume the textured version is 'better'.

This is not always true. The textured version could be faster to render and even give nicer results (especially on curved surfaces) but in many cases a vector representation will result in higher details upon zooming.

So unless we allow vector formats alongside png the textured version is not always visually the best solution.

For this reason I find the whole 'fallback' term a bit misleading, I wouldn't mind some hint system in order to let the renderer choose fallback over textured in some cases.

I think that it is generally assumed that if the vector geometry is better, it will be there instead of the texture, as opposed to being the fallback for a texture. While it is true that the texture would almost always render more quickly, LDraw has traditionally mostly preferred accuracy to performance.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: TEXMAP addition to Official Library Spec - by Travis Cobbs - 2020-07-22, 2:09