Documentation Fragmentation

RE: Documentation Fragmentation
(2020-05-21, 16:25)N. W. Perry Wrote: There are two articles on colors, two on the OMR, etc.

Can you point me to these duplicates?

(2020-05-21, 16:25)N. W. Perry Wrote: And information on official parts is largely documented at the Parts Tracker rather than the main documentation page at LDraw.org.

This exactly what I want to get away from. I want everything in one place, clearly labelled as to purpose

(2020-05-21, 16:25)N. W. Perry Wrote: Different parts of the LDraw "universe" have different sets of rules: for example, the official parts library has formatting rules that aren't necessarily requirements of the LDraw format itself, so they're documented separately. (That does also lead to some discrepancies, however—for example, keywords are an official meta for parts only, yet there are standards for optionally using them in models. Do the same rules apply?—and so forth.)

This is why things are broken up in the menus between "File Format" and "Official Library". I think that maybe everything under the "Official Heading" can be combined into one standalone document. As far as "File Format", those documents need to be separate since they outline the core spec and the various extensions.

(2020-05-21, 16:25)N. W. Perry Wrote: I'd be willing to help with compiling, editing, proofreading, or whatever could be useful.

This what I want. Perspective from someone just starting out. Be bold with your suggestions. If you want, make a visual mock-up of how things should look. I suck at creating UI from whole cloth but if you give me a visual template, I can replicate.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Documentation Fragmentation - by Orion Pobursky - 2020-05-21, 16:55