Basic plate depth issue ?

RE: Basic plate depth issue ?
(2020-04-28, 12:00)benoit paillard Wrote: Hi all, I just joined and just started using LDraw, so sorry in advance if I'm being stupid !

I'd like to revive my old Legos sets for my son, but there are heaps of missing parts... However I have a 3D printer and I'd like to print them.

I did a bunch of tests and it's quite promising with LDraw library. However I stumbled upon one issue : the basic thin parts from LDraw lib are not as deep as real legos !

Taking for instance part 3023, 1 x 2 plate, when measuring the internal depth from the bottom to the internel ceiling, I get more than 2mm on an actual part, and 1.6mm from LDraw lib.

Is that normal, like for rendering purpose or something ?

Thank you for your help

We're close but not quite. Since LDraw is meant to be a digital representation so our units work fine for digital media but not so great for 3D printing. Plastic deforms slightly, digital bricks do not. Actual LEGO bricks need clutch power, digital brick do not. Etc...

Also, not having easily 3D printable bricks from our data keeps us firmly in the fairplay guidelines and in the good graces of LEGO.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Basic plate depth issue ? - by Orion Pobursky - 2020-04-28, 17:30