LDCad Concave collision detection

RE: Concave collision detection
(2020-04-19, 21:00)Roland Melkert Wrote: This needs what i like to call a multiple connection solver.

It's a feature I like to add to LDCad 2.0 but it's a very complicated one, and will need a lot of processing power. I think it's the main reason programs like LDD get very slow with larger models.

If you want to solve it by collision detection alone you would need to define simplified collision volumes for all parts which isn't a small task.

You might be able to (partly) generate it from the mesh data though.
I was considering generating from mesh data, and I also considered ancompound convex pseudo-concave solution, but I think I'll just exclude the functionality for now, for I don't think it's a terribly common building technique (I could be wrong). 

I also wanted to ask you further about what you said on a different post regarding the license for commercial LDraw software.

I am planning on using the LDraw parts for a virtual reality building system, but I am unsure if this is a good idea because of the potential copywrite infringement on the LEGO Group. I want to decide early in the development process if I should use LDraw or model my own knockoff parts and possibly use the same part names for instruction manual/LDraw .ldr file export purposes. The library wouldn't be all-encompassing in either case, and I would make sure not to use any trademark material, but as far as I am aware the LEGO Group has failed in multiple lawsuits to secure intellectual ownership of most of their part designs (excluding some parts such as minifigs, Bionicle, etc.) after their patents expired. I was wondering what makes you so concerned, then, about monetizing LDCad if my facts are correct.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Concave collision detection - by K Johnson - 2020-04-18, 22:22
RE: Concave collision detection - by K Johnson - 2020-04-25, 2:56