Standard: Official Model Repository (OMR) Filenames and Headers

Re: Standard: Official Model Repository (OMR) Filenames and Headers
SUGGESTION: Create a standard to put sythesized (e.g. LSynthed) parts into seperate subfiles.

My reasoning is thus: Creating synthesized parts is often difficult and typically involves a fair amount of trial and error as one attempts to mimic the shape shown in the instructions as closely as possible. Doing this in a subfile makes it much easier because you can see the whole part easily, and can manipulate/change/delete parts easily and effortlessly. However, attempting to do this in large file can oftentimes be difficult due to them often being placed in hard to reach/hard to see areas.

Additionally, in instruction manuals (as well as real life), your typical synthesized part (hose, chain, rope, etc...) is treated as a single part. However, as we all know, synthesized parts are often made up of dozens and possibly even hundreds of smaller parts. By putting all these parts into a subfile, we can then treat the synthesized part as a single part in the main file.

As for naming conventions, I suggest using something like "-sX" where X is nth synthesized part for the model.
Some examples:
m-1-s1.dat -- First synthesized piece for first model
m-1-s2.dat -- Second sythesized piece for first model
m-1a-s1.dat -- First synthesized piece for first submodel of the first model.
m-1ab-s1.dat -- First synthesized piece for for second submodel of first submodel of the first model.
mf-1-s1 -- First synthesized piece for the first minifig.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm theJude! So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, his Judeness, or uh, Juder, or el Juderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Standard: Official Model Repository (OMR) Filenames and Headers - by Jude Parrill - 2011-08-04, 1:49