Proposed Flexible Part Language Extension

RE: Proposed Flexible Part Language Extension
(2018-12-02, 2:54)Travis Cobbs Wrote:
(2018-12-01, 6:08)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Fallback code is optional. The entire part can be generated and displayed by the editor using only the info in the METAs. I believe LDCad actually does this and only generates the fallback code if requested. Where the fallback code is useful is for legacy editors.

I don't think "fallback" is the correct term here. I think "results" is a much closer term to what you mean, unless I'm still misunderstanding. The META commands indicate how a flexible part should be generated, but in order to have an LDraw file, the editor needs to actually do the generation and create an LDraw file with geometry. And it seems to me that this is not at all optional. Put bluntly, I never plan to support any of these METAs in LDView, and I don't think it's appropriate for flexible parts not to display at all in LDView simply because it doesn't support these META commands.

Maybe I'm still totally misunderstanding what you mean.

I agree that it would probably be pointless for LDView to support these METAs since it's not an editor. These statements are intended to standardize the flexible part structure for editors there by allowing consistent generation between editors. This will allow someone to take a model built in LDCad and open it in another (future) editor and be able to easily edit said model's flexible parts. This is not the case now as different editors use different methods and the underlying constraints aren't saved to the file.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proposed Flexible Part Language Extension - by Orion Pobursky - 2018-12-02, 21:11