99455.dat part missing in LPub3d fade steps?

RE: 99455.dat part missing in LPub3d fade steps?
(2016-07-29, 3:36)Kevin Wrote: [quote pid='22582' dateline='1469656135']
First, the prerequisites:
- Be sure you have installed successfully the latest build of LPub3D (version 2.0.7.770)
- Be sure Enable Fade Steps is checked in the Configuration=>Preferences=>General settings tab
- Be sure both your official and unofficial archive files are in the same location (same directory)
- Be sure you are using an updated fadeStepColorParts.lst - See attached archive as you are unable to produce.
- Place your LDraw.ini file in your LDraw directory - this is the safest place to insure all applications will detect it.
- Clear all caches (or delete the generated LPub3D directory) created for the mode file.
- Backup and delete the Unofficial\Fade directory
- Refresh your archive libraries complete.zip and lpub3dldrawunf.zip - normally they can be found in .../<user>AppData/Local/LPub3D Software/LPub3D/libraries
- The fastest way to refresh your archive libraries is to delete them and select copy the next time you launch LPub3D. FYI, they are copied to your AppData location from <LPub3D Install Directory>/Data if you are running an installed distribution.
- After refreshing your libraries, be sure to launch LPub3D a couple of time to be sure all components are in place.
- I would recommend running the test with simple and direct directory paths. For example, placing your LDraw directory (where your fade files are generated) under the logged in user.

- Sample LDraw.ini Search Directories declaration for LPub3D:
Code:
[LDrawSearch]
1=<MODELDIR>
2=<HIDE><DEFPRIM><LDRAWDIR>\P
3=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\PARTS
4=<LDRAWDIR>\MODELS
5=<HIDE><DEFPRIM><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\P
6=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\parts
7=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\LSynth
8=<HIDE><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\customParts\p
9=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\customParts\parts
10=<HIDE><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\fade\p
11=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\fade\parts

Up-to-date fadeStepColorParts.lst

Tests - generate parts list:
- With the above in place you should be able to generate a refreshed parts list from the menu. Note that the progress bar should cycle 3 times. First for the unofficial files, then for the official files and last for the children of both. I am aware that during the 2nd cycle, the message still says 'Processing Unofficial Library...' when in fact it is actually processing the official library at that time.
- If you continue to experience a crash when trying to generate a new list, let me know the following:
  - the paths to your archive libraries
  - the logged in user type and whether generation is performed with the user's paths or other
  - at what point in the process (looking at the messaging and elapsed time) does the application terminate abnormally

Rendering fade parts with static colour:
- Start with a virgin set of archive libraries as described above - complete.zip and lpub3dldrawunf.zip
- Ensure it is the first launch of the model file (generated LPub3D directory should not be there)
- Launch LPub3D and open the model file
- Navigate to the page containing the expected faded file
- If the model was opened successfully, proceed to the model directory and check the following:
- Open the corresponding 'CSI' file (note if you are using LDView with single call rendering checked, the CSI file will be a named step file) and check that the part expected to be faded is appropriately named - i.e. it will have a suffix of '-fade' in the name before the extension like 48933ps1-fade.dat
- If the part is correctly labeled in the CSI, this means the process to generate the fade file worked as designed. It means that you should also have:
- a file of the same name in your Unofficial/fade/parts directory
- a file of the same name in your lpub3dldrawunf.zip archive library at under the parts subdirectory
- If the file is properly generated but it is not rendered, this means your renderer is not able to detect the fade file at it's location
- To test you can do the following:
- Manually copy the fade file from Unofficial/fade/parts to Unofficial/parts and reload the file
- If the file is not correctly labeled in the CSI, it means LPub3D is not able to detect it as a static color file - i.e. it is unsuccessful to find or read the proper information to detect this file in the fadeStepColorParts.lst. There can be several reasons for this but the most likely is:
- The color part entry is incorrect and the RegExp command against the list returns exist=false
- You can substitute your parts list with the one I attached to test correct entries.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Let me know how you fare with your testing.

Cheers,

Trevor,

I followed your instructions but still had the same problem, so I decided to start totally clean.  I uninstalled everyting, then reinstalled the LDraw AIOI (without LPub3D or POV-Ray), LPub3D and POV-Ray, all with fresh downloads.  In the process, I moved the LDraw and LGEO directories under c:\LEGO_Tools.  I replaced the fadeStepColorParts.lst with the one from the link you provided (and verified all my missing parts are in it), and my ldraw.ini file looks like your example and resides in c:\LEGO_Tools\LDraw.  I ran regedit to scan for references to LDRAWDIR and made sure they all pointed to the new location.  And finally, I used LPub3D to refresh the official and unofficial archives.  After all that, I'm still back where I started--the same parts don't render when faded, and generating the fadeStepColorParts.lst crashes LPub3D.

Path to my archive libraries:  C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\AppData\Local\LPub3D Software\LPub3D\libraries

Logged in user:  IBM_ADMIN.  I think the answer to your question is yes, I'm using the logged in user's paths for the generation.

It terminates at different times.  Sometimes in the first cycle, and sometimes in the second.  The furthest progress I've seen is 100% of the first cycle and 76% of the second cycle.  But I've also seen it crash at 2% of the first cycle.

Here are my results at each step of your instructions:
- Start with a virgin set of archive libraries as described above - complete.zip and lpub3dldrawunf.zip
     * Deleted these archives, then selected "copy" at LPub3D startup.  Verified that new copies were placed in the directory.
- Ensure it is the first launch of the model file (generated LPub3D directory should not be there)
     * Deleted this directory before launching LPub3D
- Launch LPub3D and open the model file
     * Successfully launched LPub3D
- Navigate to the page containing the expected faded file
     * Page 39 adds part 71427c01 to the assembly.  It should be faded on page 40, but it's simply missing

- If the model was opened successfully, proceed to the model directory and check the following:
     * I assume this is the LPub3D subdirectory in the directory containing my model .mpd file

- Open the corresponding 'CSI' file (note if you are using LDView with single call rendering checked, the CSI file will be a named step file) and
check that the part expected to be faded is appropriately named - i.e. it will have a suffix of '-fade' in the name before the extension like 48933ps1-fade.dat
     *  The assembly is named "hobmotor"  When I open "hobmotor.ldr" I see this line:
     *  1 7 290 -56 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 71427c01.dat
     *  When I open "hobmotor-fade.ldr" I see this line: 
     *  1  39 290 -56 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 71427c01-fade.dat
- If the part is correctly labeled in the CSI, this means the process to generate the fade file worked as designed. It means that you should also have:
- a file of the same name in your Unofficial/fade/parts directory
     *  my Unofficial/fade/parts directory is completely empty except for a subdirectory Unofficial/fade/parts/s which is also empty
- a file of the same name in your lpub3dldrawunf.zip archive library at under the parts subdirectory
      *  The archive does not contain any file named 71427c01.dat or 71427c01-fade.dat, nor does it contain a fade directory anywhere
- If the file is properly generated but it is not rendered, this means your renderer is not able to detect the fade file at it's location
- To test you can do the following:
     *  No actual fade file to test with.
- Manually copy the fade file from Unofficial/fade/parts to Unofficial/parts and reload the file
- If the file is not correctly labeled in the CSI, it means LPub3D is not able to detect it as a static color file - i.e. it is unsuccessful to find or read the proper information to detect this file in the fadeStepColorParts.lst. There can be several reasons for this but the most likely is:
- The color part entry is incorrect and the RegExp command against the list returns exist=false
- You can substitute your parts list with the one I attached to test correct entries.

I can attach the dump file if it would help.

Thanks again for all your time.

Kevin
[/quote]

Kevin - I've made some changes to the fade step functionality in the just released v2.0.8. Let me now if your issue is resolved with this release or not?

Cheers,
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 99455.dat part missing in LPub3d fade steps? - by Trevor Sandy - 2016-08-05, 5:46