PovRay and ldraw frustration

RE: PovRay and ldraw frustration
Hi!

Thanks for replying even when I started this thread off with such a rant...

(2016-04-26, 12:53)Willy Tschager Wrote: you might have noticed that the AIOI doesn't provide any paths or settings for POVRay under LPub3D. It is totally up to you to set it up. A smooth installation is currently not doable also because LPub3D relays on L3P for its LDraw2POV conversion. L3P hasn't been updated for 8 years now while the LGEO library has and works fine with LDView generated files. L3P is provided as silent install, but your rant thought me that it is high time to remove L3P from the installer, so that it is clear that you have to provide all the pieces needed.
OK, so there is (or soon was) a L3P hidden somewhere to do this. Yes, I already learned that this L3P was antique, and had my problems with it, so I left it out of my plans. But I also learned that one can produce pov files (that actually work! Miracle!) with LDView - would it be possible to use this path instead? I have no idea whether this can be done with LDView in a command line mode like the rendering LPub3D does. But I would love to see a high-quality instruction set rendered with POVRay.

(2016-04-26, 12:53)Willy Tschager Wrote: As for the buggy software included in the AIOI please read: http://www.ldraw.org/article/104.html
Code:
Note that newer version of each application may be available as this installer was created for the release of the latest LDraw parts library update, which happens twice or three times a year.
OK, I have to accept this. It would be nice, though, if the download page would get an expanded table under this section with a column stating which applications got an update since the release of the AIOI - This would be easier that the hassle of re-packing the AIOI (I guess that the most difficult part here is the QA), and would give a good "heads up" information for everyone who installs this AIOI package.

Leg bedre,
Christian
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: PovRay and ldraw frustration - by Brian - 2016-04-25, 9:10
RE: PovRay and ldraw frustration - by Christian Treczoks - 2016-04-26, 16:33
RE: PovRay and ldraw frustration - by Brian - 2016-05-03, 5:26
RE: PovRay and ldraw frustration - by Brian - 2016-05-05, 7:01